POSTs and shows XP logo on startup, but left with black screen on desktop/login

Discussion in 'Software' started by tom66, Jun 19, 2011.

1. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

As in the title. Have POST, and Windows XP splash bootup screen. But nothing more. Safe mode works. Graphics card is good under Ubuntu even with 3D effects. I suspect a virus as AVG was warning me, but it only said "potentially unwanted program." So is there anything I can do to fix this?

2. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Forgot to mention: Monitor shows "no signal" before going black, so Windows is turning it off for some reason. Also tried both DVI ports on the 9800GT. It was working before...

3. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

boot into safe mode, since it works apparently.

go into msconfig (start > run > msconfig)

Startup tab > DISABLE ALL
    Services tab > put a check mark into Hide All Microsoft Services > DISABLE ALL
    OK (close out of msconfig window). It will say in order for these changes to take effect, you need to reboot. Close out whatever else you may be happening to work on, and do so.
    Try to see if it allows you into normal mode now

post results

4. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it, but it is still not working.

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    I would like to suggest one more thing in regards to disabling services. Uncheck Hide All Microsoft Services and disable the Windows Event Log Service.

6. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

Unchecked "Event Log", still broken. :(

7. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

8. tom66

tom66 Private E-2

That's a lot of steps.

I have no personal info on this PC. It is only used to play games. All I would need to do is reinstall my games. Maybe a reinstall would be easier? :(

9. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

If you have all the neccessary discs OS/Drivers and like then Yes a fresh install doing a "full format" to make sure that you catch all of the malware/virus would be the best option to go for... It is what I would do ;)

iain.t :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds