Power box dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wildchildra, May 23, 2007.

1. wildchildra

wildchildra Private E-2

I turned my on computer today and sparks started coming out of my power box and then went BANG!

Its been working fine for ages (2-3 years)

what could have caused it and what other damage might it have done.

and if i need a new power box will any power supply be ok to buy.

let me know what info you need to help me

Thanks in advance

2. Purpleweenie

Purpleweenie Private E-2

Have you done any work in you case recently. Especially w/ reconnecting the FD power connection?

This has happened to me too. Scared the SH*T out of me.

If you are not that technically comfortable rooting around in your computer and testing stuff, I would take it in to your locally trusted computer tech and have him check out the rest of your parts. WHen mine blew it took out my MOBO and Proc. I was f'n irate.

But this does happen. Most likely the fans went out and it overheated and BAMMM, but who knows.

I would purchase one of the same wattage if that worked for you, or maybe even a bit larger one depending if you plan to expand or upgrade in the future.

3. wildchildra

wildchildra Private E-2

I have a ATX 550w. So I might go for a JEANTECH - 700W *STORM* ATX POWER SUPPLY UNIT.

Hopefully my mobo and processoe will still work.

I have had a new graphics card and a new sound card and upgraded to vista but that was months ago so i dont know if any of them caused it.

4. Purpleweenie

Purpleweenie Private E-2

It is possible...

Did your PSU meet the power requirements of the vid card.

This is a common error that people make now days.
    Not so much on the general publlic, but on sales persons for not asking or informing the customer that the newer vid cards DO have power requirements.

5. luminousone

luminousone Private E-2

Not sure why it happened

you should look for a good PSU, not just a 20$ special. Check out a few reviews online to make sure you getting no surprises.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds