Power but Dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jwhenry, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jwhenry

jwhenry Private E-2

Hope someone can help me. When I tried to start my computer the hard drive would start to spin then just quit. The computer would not make it to the post screen, but there is power going to all of the componets. I tried a different video card which did not help. I pulled everything except the hard drive, floppy, and video card trying to get it to post. Still nothing. I have replaced the power supply which I thought might have gone bad. I have also replaced the memory. Nothing. Anyone have any ideas. They would sure be appreciated
    Thanks in advance.

2. Bluepickle

Bluepickle Major Folder

The first thing I would try would be resetting the CMOS jumper.

Is this a new computer or one that's booted successfully before?
    What are your system specs?
    Do you get any POST beeps?

3. chrisosx

chrisosx Private E-2

sounds like a CPU error... try reseating the CPU or it may be that the CPU is overheating. Try putting more heatsink cream (idk what its called) and reseat the heatsink and the fan. Make sure all the fans in the computer is moving. If that doesn't work maybe the motherboard is shorted or something, or your CPU is bad and needs to be replace.

4. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

heatsink cream is thermal transfer paste. It is a silicon derived mixture that fills in the microscopic lands and valleys between the heatsink and CPU. More is often not better, you should have a rice paper thin layer on top of the CPU and no more.

5. chrisosx

chrisosx Private E-2

sorry about that.. i meant if it was spread accross the CPU enough so that the heatsink would pick up the heat better heh :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds