power buzz in microphone background

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wackywelshman, Dec 11, 2005.

1. wackywelshman

wackywelshman Private E-2

Hi, I have a weird problem. I have a Sony Vaio PCG FR315M lappy and have recently bought a Logitech messenger webcam with built in mic. Thing is, I get a power buzz in the background when ever I use the mic. I can get rid of it by running the lappy on battery but this has an obvious drawback.
    Even when the power cable is out and the buzz has gone, there is still a sort of hiss in the background.
    I have fiddled around with the normal settings but nothing seems to be able to clear up the signal...
    Has anyone got any ideas on how I can clear it up?
    cheers
    Wacky

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

Might try going into the sound properties, click advanced then mute different volumes one at a time until you find the guilty party.

3. wackywelshman

wackywelshman Private E-2

i'm afraid i have tried that already, doesnt work. The noise seems to be coming from the buzz from the electricity- ie a bad grounding somewhere, or the system noise itself.
    I have had suggestions that the problem might be solved if I outsource the audio drivers to hardware other than the motherboard for example some wireless headphones that have their drivers installed in them, like a separate device. Does that sound plausible to you Major Geeks?
    Cheers

4. AngelOfDeth

AngelOfDeth Private E-2

Well, I think it might be a grounding wire. However if it were.. I'd think you would notice a slight current running through your PC case :p

Trust me.. I've had that happen before.. turned out that the grounding wire for the wall socket wasn't even attached !

Also, if your mic is a cheap one... it might just pick up something through the plug-in on your sound card. Might try getting a better quality one first.

As for the wireless ordeal.. I'm not too sure about that.. but hey, it's worth a shot.. GL on that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds