Power plug put on any of 4 HDs kills all.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lexrexus, Jan 13, 2009.

1. lexrexus

lexrexus Private E-2

Power plug put on any of 4 HDs kills all:

Search of this forum yielded 'hard drive that kills.'
    All 4 of my HDs, I pray, shouldn't have gone bad at once.

In said thread, one mentioned resetting power supply - but didn't give sufficient info for me to understand how. Might have been describing what power supply does itself - see below.

=======
    I can have power plug in cd/dvd drives and computer runs but I guess maybe no load, or less load than starting a HD?

Repeated many times. Kills all whether ribbons are on HDs or not. Does it w/any of all 4 HDs. Have to off switch at rear of power supply and wait 14 seconds or so for mobo light to off before can restart computer w/out HD or rekill computer w/HD - when HD is connected before start fans start to run but quit in less than a second.

Power supply over a year old but used little - and was expensive.

Have simple ohm/volt meter.
    What could cause power supply to be damaged - how test my stuff?

Any way to test/get Power supply going?

Could it be anything else???

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

hi mate, dont know if im stoned or its your post but i had to read it about 5 times to make any sense lol

anyway doesnt look good does it, when testing these drives are you trying different molex connectors or the same one?

do you have access to a spare supply to test

if you want to try testing the power supply, just go on youtube and search for "test power supply" better to see it than for me to try and explain

3. lexrexus

lexrexus Private E-2

Thanks 4 reply!!!

Sorry, should have written 'HD' out first occurrence.

All power plugs do same.

Have another pwr supply but condition unknown; may try or switch to the box its in if works and mobo no drawbacks - just downloaded manual for it.

NO Utube capability but will do search for info re. (regarding) testing pwr supply. No x (time) now : ]

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Since you have to switch the pc off at the power inlet what do you mean by 'Kills'?

What actually happens when you power on the pc with the hard drive connected?
    Do you see anything on the screen?

Now

What actually happens when you power on the pc with the hard drive not connected?
    Do you see anything on the screen?

If you have to shut the pc down, try holding the front power button in for 10 seconds, before pulling out the cable at the back.

Give us some more detail.

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Lex,

PSU has protective circuits for over current and over and under voltage. This circuit will shut down the PSU on any of those faults to protect the comp and PSU. The only way to get the PSU back up is to remove the AC input either with the switch on the back of the PSU or for lack of a switch pulling the plug from the wall outlet. A heavy power draw or a dead short will prevent the PSU from even starting. Sounds like your PSU may be overloaded or defective.

Good Luck, Jim

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

7. lexrexus

lexrexus Private E-2

[Looking into testing voltages, hope find info re. testing better than that; and seems need test HDs somehow to rule out that they caused problem. 450 watt psu used maybe over a year - and not much - -]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. lexrexus

lexrexus Private E-2

[No. How test drives? Maybe one of drives caused problem with Psu? Psu was used for maybe over a year and not that much: 450 watts, not a cheapy - have 'nother, but is 250 watts and would like it to keep working - test HDs in some other way besides ruining PSUs??]
    [I have a simple resistance/volt meter]

[Thank you!!]

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Most certainly yes. At this point I don't susprect the power supply

How about starting from definite answers to the questions I asked?

10. lexrexus

lexrexus Private E-2

[I thought I did, just like this for the majority, except I didn't think to change the color & underline, sorry: look in my quote of your previous] :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  11. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I don't see how this is an answer to two questions about what you see on the screen,
    or one about what you mean by Kill.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

studiot, he answered within the quote box.
    For the first question about what kills means
    [All action stops, nothing works, no sounds of fans... all no worky ... except mobo light]

For the question about what happens when the pc is powered on with the drive attached...
    [Fans start to run and stop]
    and as to what is seen on the screen
    Do you see anything on the screen? [No]

[HD not connected fans start and continue]
    Do you see anything on the screen? [Normal, as far as I could tell, except no HDs detected]

13. lexrexus

lexrexus Private E-2

Please see post #12. :-o

Could you - or anyone - please tell me if there's a way that I can check out my HDs with an ohm meter or ?? so I don't have to risk blowing the 12v rail on another PSU? :confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds