Power Scheme

Discussion in 'Software' started by kojack22, Apr 10, 2008.

1. kojack22

kojack22 Private E-2

I have 2 problems.

1) When I change a power scheme and 'Save As', label it, click 'Apply' then 'OK' there is no problem but when I go back into my power schemes it is not there. There are only 2 selections: Portable/Laptop and Home/Office Desk.

2) Why is it that when I go to shut down I don't have the Hibernate or Sleep options. I do have the option enabled (Power Option Properties > Hibernate).
    My only options are Stand By, Turn Off and Restart. There is also the Log Off option when I click Start.

I have WinXP, P4, SP2.

2. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

the computer hibernates itself.like when theres no activities for amount of time.

3. GM1

GM1 Private E-2

A month or so ago I was experiecing power scheme problems somewhat (but not exactly) similar to yours. I did some research and discovered there are some power scheme flaws with WinXP that appear to be aggravated by setting up too many custom settings. A registry fix had to be conducted and while I found information on the web describing how to perform manual, corrective edits in the registry, I believe this download from Kellys Korner worked for me: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to #204 - "Restore Power Schemes/Configurations").

If you use the Welcome screen you can access hibernate (instead of standby) by holding shift. It changes standby on the shutdown screen to hibernate. You can see more details here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/940667.html

4. kojack22

kojack22 Private E-2

Thanks! The SHIFT thing worked like a charm. Didn't get anywhere with the power scheme but I'm happy being able to hibernate :D

5. kojack22

kojack22 Private E-2

Power Scheme promblem solved :)

Export HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg and save it as HKUsersPowerCfg.reg.
    Open HKUsersPowerCfg.reg in Notepad. Search for all occurrences of [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel and replace them with [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel.
    Export the existing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg subkey so that you have a backup if needed.
    Delete the existing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg subkey.
    Import the freshly edited HKUsersPowerCfg.reg subkey.
    Now all six default power schemes available. Interestingly, the Save As option in the Power Schemes tab now actually works.

6. GM1

GM1 Private E-2

Great! Glad to help and thanks for the update and the information!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds