Power Supply Buzzing Noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boedicia@live.co.uk, Feb 18, 2011.

1. boedicia@live.co.uk

boedicia@live.co.uk Private E-2

Hi.

My power supply has only just been making this buzzing noise. Not sure if it could do with dust inside it or something entirely different.

I've ordered some more dust spray but if i had to replace it...What should i replace it with?

At the moment its this one http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=105046&source=froogle

I ordered a new am3 mobo with 4gb also and overclockers suggested this one, http://www.component-warehouse.co.uk/ocz-500w-psu-stealth-xtream-2-atx-12v-v2-2-active-pfc-80-plus.html?___store=default&___store=default

2. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

Both look good. I always recommend a bigger W since you don't want to have to buy a new power supply every time you upgrade.

I'm currently using a 750W.

3. Koala

Koala Private E-2

Depends the components you have on your PC and/or they way you will use it.
    Both are good. Most of the time that 400W will fit all your needs.

4. boedicia@live.co.uk

Well, I've been using this power supply for a good few years now and never had problems before with it, still using the same components for it aswell and never had problems with it before. So how to fix the buzzing? What to do?

here are my specs...

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 42 °C
    Toledo 90nm Technology
    RAM
    3.0GB Single-Channel DDR @ 110MHz (2.5-2-2-5)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-E (Socket 939)
    Graphics
    1080A (1920x1080@60Hz)
    ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 41 °C
    Hard Drives
    488GB Western Digital WDC (32 mb cache/7200 rpm) WD5000AADS-00S9B0 ATA Device (SATA) 36 °C
    Optical Drives
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S ATA Device
    Audio
    Realtek AC'97 Audio

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Hmmm...I think you're the one who said you may be upgrading your PC about a month ago. ;)

I second Baxter's recommendation about spending a few extra bucks for a higher wattage power supply. Although a 400-watt would technically power either your current system or the upgrade to the Athlon X2 260, it will be at or near its max. Since a typical power supply's max. output degrades by about 10% per year, it is likely you'd only get 2-3 years out of it.

I checked your UK shopping site. Here's my pick:

http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=102929

Although some my argue, Corsair is the Gold Standard of power supplies. Based on the reviews at www.newegg.com, this is a solid "5 Star" model. Although the Corsair "Builder Series" models are less expensive, their reviews are less than stellar.

One final note: In The States, the Corsair "TX" series has a 5 year warranty - better than the 1-3 year warranties most others offer.

6. boedicia@live.co.uk

Ye, i was hoping not too spend too much on a power supply as i'll be buying a new PC when I've managed to save up. So there's no point in me forking out a lot for something that will only be used for like a few months.

7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If buying a whole new PC, true.

If you're going to rebuild your old one, however, you won't have to replace it again when you do the upgrades.

8. Koala

Koala Private E-2

Your system does NOT need that kind of power supply you got recommended. With that 400W you have more than enough.
    Anyway, if your power supply is just making some buzz noise (and you already cleaned it out), the fan might be failing. Replacing the fan would do the job.

9. boedicia@live.co.uk

Ye. Haven't managed to use dust spray inside it. Don't really want to take it apart if i don't know what i'm doing. Ye i was planning on buying a complete new PC from overclockers in like 3 months. Tired of trying to upgrade this part by part when it would be easier to just buy a new PC and sell the parts of this when i do. I've ordered some dust spray. I just hope it is dust and not the fan failing cos i have no clue in how to replace the fan in the PSU. But if it was the fan failing it would show me that on my monitor right? Got me thinking though, would my power supply be OK with the new am3 mobo and 4gb ram. As ofcourse, i don't want it to blow up on me :p

10. Koala

Koala Private E-2

Which graphic card will you have on it? Most of the components doesn't require too much "power" from the power supply. But the graphic card if it's a powerful one, could require a better one.

What processor and graphic card will you get?

11. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

Your rig looks good to me. I had a roaring PSU that was dying slowly. I just replaced the PSU with the same PSU and have not had any problems since. Why would you buy a new computer when you have a good one??

12. boedicia@live.co.uk

i'll be using a amd athlon II Multicore Processor. Graphics card i use at the mo is a Radeon HD 4800 series.

13. boedicia@live.co.uk

Its not that good, i don't really get that good fps in WoW and its set to medium settings. I want a more powerful pc so that i can have it on ultra settings and have the best fps with it whilst gaming. There's always something going wrong with this PC and i'm tired of having to replace parts all the time. Would just be easier to save up to buy a brand new one. Also the wiring inside my current PC is messy.

14. Koala

Koala Private E-2

Your actual Power supply should be enough. But the PSU is very important on a PC. So if you getting a new computer and your actual PSU is already making that buzz sound. I would recommend you getting a new one with the new computer. But something around 400~500W of a good PSU is more than enough.

Anyway if you get rid of that buzz sound. As u said maybe is just dust. It can run your new computer without problems.

By the way, what's your actual PSU wattage and brand?

15. boedicia@live.co.uk

This is my current one. http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=105046&source=froogle

16. Koala

Koala Private E-2

17. boedicia@live.co.uk

Ye thanks. I really appreciate everyones help. I better read up on how to take it apart and put it back together before i do to clean it out etc lol I'm sure it won't be all to difficult though. Of course if it still makes the sound after I've cleaned it out then i'll take on everyone's advice and replace the fan. Or perhaps it would just be easier to buy a 500w power supply for little money until i get my brand new PC from overclockers in a few months time which will have everything already inside it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds