Power supply issue?or is it the MB.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by srlake314, Jun 30, 2011.

1. srlake314

srlake314 Private E-2

So my pc has been running smoothly, no issues whatsoever. The other day(Monday), to be exact my monitors were off. I thought nothing of it, because it normally does this for hibernation mode.
    However, the lights on the front of the pc were off. I looked on the inside of the case, and the MB standby lights were on as well as the PS light in the back was on.
    I unplugged the PS for 1/2 hour, to be sure the caps drained and then plugged back in and turned the PS switch back on. All the lights came back on, which is good. However, when I pressed the front case power switch, the case lights for a second came on and then went off and the "pfzt" sound of it trying to power up, came and went as fast as the lights came on.

Is this a PS issue or a MB issue? Please any suggestions before I tear apart the pc to send the PS back to the OCZ.

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Could well be your heatsink fan failing causing over heating, replace the fan and post back.

3. srlake314

srlake314 Private E-2

do you mean the processor's heat sink?
    Its got the water cooling system on it.

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

What sort of CPU cooler have you and has it a fan ??? Make and Model ?? another thing you could try is to unhitch every thing that is connected HD/Rom/USB etc and just leave the graphics card installed and use just one ram/stick of memory then try and power up. If it fails swap the Ram for another and continue this until you have tried all Ram.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds