Power Supply Surges Detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rawb, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Rawb

Rawb Private E-2

Hello all!

I just purchased a new barebones computer and, after fleshing it out, I've started running into problems: After gaming for a while (30-45 minutes), my computer just restarts. When it comes back up, I see the following BIOS error:

Power supply surges detected during the previous power on.
    Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!

When I check the BIOS, all the voltages are normal except for 5V. That shows +5.550 in red.

If I don't run any games, it seems to have no trouble. No restarts, no unexpected lockups or slowdowns, nothing.

I've run CPUID's Hardware Monitor and got these results (see attached image).

My computer is as follows:
    700W PSU
    Asus P8H77-V LE motherboard
    2 SATA HDDs
    AMD Radeon HD 6950 Video
    Sound Blaster X-Fi Gamer
    4GB DDR2 RAM

Is this a case of a bad PSU or is there maybe something else going on?

Attached Files:

2. cosmicma

cosmicma Private E-2

looking at the attached image your 12 volt rails are at 8 volt which looks odd at best
    looks like it's time for a new PSU no point in messing about there cheap enough just to replace

3. Rawb

Rawb Private E-2

At the time I was running HW Monitor my computer was largely idle: I'd just been searching the web for similar issues. I hadn't been playing games or doing anything heavy-duty. Would that make a difference on the voltages shown?

And, even if it does, what would be a good PS to buy? I've done a little looking this morning and found a 1000W 80+ Bronze Certified one that has 2x 6 pin plugs (needed for my video card) and reports 83A on the +12V rail. It's only got a single rail though.

And, while I'm here... >.>

I was thinking that finding a dual rail PS would be better than a single rail because I could plug a 6 pin from each rail into the video card. Does this make sense or am I way off base and a single rail PS would be the way to go?

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Your plan for dual rails is solid.

I would however recommend that you buy a good quality PSU. Allow me to let Digerati explain:

5. Rawb

Rawb Private E-2

First off, thanks for all the info! While I wasn't able to find a good dual-rail PS that met my requirements, I did find a single-rail that had the amperage to handle my entire computer almost twice over :)

Also, I think I figured out what was wrong with my original PS! Because it didn't have enough 6pin connectors for my video card (it needed 2), I had to get a MOLEX to 6pin adapter. And because I was using this adapter, it ended up pulling power for my video card from the 5V rail (which didn't have enough amperage).

This forced my 5V rail basically to overload when the video card was used. I'm guessing that it also drained power from the 12V rail (all the rails really) to compensate. Luckily, I have onboard video that I can use until my replacement PS arrives.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds