Powerline vs N-Wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ITgirl, Feb 26, 2010.

1. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Does anyone know if there is an N Wireless Powerline adapter on the market? I have only come across adapters which deliver 85 MB Wirelessly and 200MB wired.

Any info on the pros and cons of Powerline VS Wireless would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

My experience with Powerline is limited to an installation we did in a local hotel. Depending on the usage and the environment powerline can be a great solution, no cables to run simple to setup etc. The downside comes if there is a lot of traffice or a lot of users as it can be prone to collisions. At that time it was only 14mb too so fine for surfing the web but not for lots of network traffic.

But if you dont want to run cables and your electrical wiring is in good shape then its a good option that, depending on your wireless products, is more reliable and easier to secure.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Netgear withdrew their (current? previous?) range of powerline devices when they introduced the latest range just before Christmas 2009.
    The first units were powerline only.
    They tell me the 'N' rated wifi transmit unit is scheduled for release in March this year.
    So watch out for it.

There is a Belkin unit but I wouldn't recommend this make for anyhting electronic to anyone.

Just remember that manufacturers units are not generally compatible and worse the new standards are not backwards compatible with older units.

5. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Ignore my question below as you have just answered it.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is a Powerline product out there capable of N Wireless speeds?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds