powerpoint program glitch

Discussion in 'Software' started by varmint_hunter, Oct 4, 2007.

1. varmint_hunter

varmint_hunter Private E-2

This is what i get when i try to open a PowerPoint slide show from an e-mail attachment. If i right-click the attachment and save it to the desktop, then the powerpoint opens
    ok. just wondering if i can fix this. the following error message pops up... "This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action. Create an association in the Folder options control panel " e-mail me @varmint_hunter@charter.net

2. varmint_hunter

This is what i get when i try to open a PowerPoint slide show from an e-mail attachment. If i right-click the attachment and save it to the desktop, then the powerpoint opens
    ok. just wondering if i can fix this. the following error message pops up... "This file does not have a program associated with it for preforming this action. Create an association in the Folder options control panel "

Guess no-one else has had this little problem....cause i didn't get any replies as to how to fix it . rolleyesrolleyesrolleyes

3. varmint_hunter

i wish i knew how to get a response from a person that could tell me whats up , but i am only repling to my own post.......

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

What Email are you using?

Outlook (express)

or some webmail such as Hotmail?

5. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I do exactly the same thing. I just got used to it.
    Outlook Express 6

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

This should not happen.

In outlook express I can double (left) click on a .ppt file and it opens the powerpoint program and the presentation concerned.

My version of powerpoint is 2000 and I have just received and viewed a 15M .ppt file written with 2003 version straight from the email.

In My Computer

tools>folderoptions

what programs are associated with ppt and pps files?

7. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I forgot to mention that at the time I didn't have the program, I just had the "viewer". Recently, I was given a Microsoft Works 9 CD, and it shows the PowerPoint program, so I'm guessing I don't need my "viewer" anymore. I haven't tried yet, but hopefully with the actual program on my computer now, any documents will open automatically, instead of having to save it to desktop before viewing with the "viewer".

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

varmit_hunter, this will only work if you have PowerPoint installed.
    Creating a file association to a program
    1. Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and click Tools/Folder Options
    2. Click on the File Types tab
    3. Scroll down until you get to PPS and PPT and highlight one of them
    4. If it doesn't say Open with Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows in the bottom part of the screen, click on the change button
    5. In the popup box, it lists all the programs installed on your computer. Scroll down until you see MS PP for Windows and Select it. Follow the same steps for the other file extension.

9. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm experiencing the same problem as OP.

In the past, I installed a "PowerPoint Viewer" in order to view attachments that others have e-mailed me.

Recently, I installed Microsoft Works 9. I was under the impression that this program actually has the PowerPoint Program. So, when I received an attachment with a PowerPoint file, I clicked on it, and still it doesn't automatically open.

The only way I can view the attachment/file, is by saving the file to my desktop, then I can click on it and view it.

I followed the above steps, and it looks like that I have the necessary stuff?

Attached Files:

• PP.JPG
      PP.JPG
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
    • PP2.JPG
      PP2.JPG
      File size:
      41.1 KB
      Views:
    • PP3.JPG
      PP3.JPG
      File size:
      39.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OOoops
    At the moment your PPS and PPT (the main powerpoint format of old) does not appear to be associated with anything.

If you have a version of powerpoint installed you can click on the restore button shown in your screen shots.

If you only have the viewer you will need to find its .exe file and use that.

11. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thank you for your reply!
    I clicked on the restore button, and this is what I now see.

Attached Files:

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

So is it now back to normal?

13. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Waiting for an e-mail to test it out, lol. I got "delete happy" and accidently deleted the e-mail that I was using for testing, lol.
    :D

14. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

PM an address for a short one.

15. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi, thanks for your help, I was away from the computer and didn't see your reply. I had asked a friend to resend me the attachment, and I have it now. This is what I'm seeing;

1. Open Outlook Express 6
    2. Open E-mail
    3. Left Double click on attachment.
    4. "Do You Want To Open This File?"
    Name: thebirds.pps
    Type: Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Show
    Click on Open
    5. Error
    "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action . Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

Attached Files:

16. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

17. plodr

my post #8 above goes thru the steps of creating the file association.

18. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

My post #9 shows I followed your post #8 along with 3 screenshots of what the settings looked like afterwords.

Post #10 says that my settings still don't appear to be associated with anything. At their suggestion, I tried the "restore" button as displayed in my screenshots. Post #11 shows my 3 screenshots after trying the "restore" suggestion.

My post #15 says it still doesn't work.

As of this post #18, I have retried posts #8 as well as post #10. Stuck in the same spot, the only thing that has changed is my post count, lol.
    :)

19. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

With the PPS PowerPoint Slide Show highlighted in the file type association dialog, click on Advanced. Then select Show and press Edit..., check that the DDE check box is ticked. See Screen snapshot.

Attached Files:

• PPS.JPG
      PPS.JPG
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
  20. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thanks for your reply and for the snapshot to help guide me through.
    :wave

Just to review, I have a PowerPoint Viewer installed.
    Recently, I was given Microsoft Works 9. Does Microsoft Works 9 have PowerPoint on it? I thought I read somewhere that it did, I may be mistaken.
    Either way, when I click on a PowerPoint attachment in an e-mail, I must first save the attachment to Desktop then open it. I'm unable to click on the attachment directly to open the file smoothly, because I get an error.
    Thanks so much guys for trying to figure this out.
    Very much appreciated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

In you picture what is the path

c:\program files\microsoftoffice\office!2pp?
    (can't read it properly)

Are you sure this is the viewer and that the path exists?

Have you tried reinstalling the viewer and making sure the pointer is to the new installation?

22. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\pptview.exe "%1"

I have no idea. No compredez, sorry.

I will try re-installing.

23. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Re-installed it, still same problem

24. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

There are some quotation marks missing from this path.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\pptview.exe" "%1"

Since you have office 12 installed (do you?) I don't see why you are not pointing to powerpoint itself, not the viewer.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\powerpnt.exe" "%1"

25. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

How do I correctly put the quotation marks in where they are supposed to appear?

I have Microsoft Works 9 installed, and am wondering if it has powerpoint on it, maybe I could delete the viewer if it does, maybe that would solve the problem. I don't see anything regarding powerpoint in my menu, so looks like I have just the viewer. You would think that files would open smoothly either way, not having to save to desktop then opening, makes no sense.

Attached Files:

• MW9.JPG
      MW9.JPG
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
  26. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Can you not do a search for

pptview.exe

and

powerpt.exe

If you find one of the above type the quotation marks in or copy and paste from my line (and amend the path as necessary).

27. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

This is a forum in which people help those who aren't too sure of what to do,... that would be me, hence my username, "Oooops!", as well as in my siggy line, "Warning! Computer Illiterate!". Sorry to inconvenience you.
    rolleyes

I've followed suggestions posted in this thread, some of it I understand, some of it I obviously don't understand, my apologies on my limited knowledge. How the hell am I supposed to search for something in which I don't understand?! I wouldn't be posting here in the first place!
    [​IMG]

I didn't find powerpt.exe using the search in the Start Menu, but I did find pptview.exe. Is this how I'm supposed to look for what you're asking? You didn't mention how to do this. How do I "amend the path"? What's a path, where is it, where do I click.... yadda yadda....

I'm sorry to have wasted your time, I'm looking for someone who can offer me straightforward step by step and maybe even an explaination on what it means, on how to solve my problem, so I don't screw up my computer. Your attitude need not apply.
    :seeya

28. plodr

Oooops! if you start complaining about any volunteer who tries to help, you'll soon find out all your questions get ignored.

If you don't understand, ask again, giving a bit more detail.
    example:"I searched and found powerpt.exe ; now what do I do next?"

To follow up, powerpt.exe is located somewhere. In order to get it to open your PowerPoint files, we need to know exactly where it is located on your computer.
    So, search for it again and when you find it, write down where it is located.
    It might be something like C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft Office 12\Power Point\powerpt.exe
    whatever it is, write it down and post it here so we know how to edit so any files you want to open point to the proper path. (If they point to the wrong path, the power point files won't open).

29. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I searched again and didn't find powerpt.exe

I took the example above as guidance, and only found PPTVIEW under the following.....
    C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\Office12

Side Note
    Not sure why it says Office12, I have Microsoft Works 9. I also looked at the folders in C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftWorks and didn't see any powerpt or pptview.

Attached Files:

30. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Now we're all back on speaking terms,

Good Evening Oooops.

I'm afraid that some basic knowledge of you pc is as essential to using your pc as knowing the basic layout (streetmap) of your town is to finding the nearest pub.

A path is a list of directions to do just that, and will only get you there if it is exactly accurate and complete.

So for instance your statement
    C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\Office12

is a path which start by stating the hard drive to look on and so on down to Office 12.
    The path is not complete because it does not end in the wanted file.

Here I owe you an apology as I typed in powerpt.exe not powerpnt.exe proving my point that accuracy is essential.

The object was to see if you actually have the powerpoint executable (program) or just the viewer. And also exactly where it is.

Office 2000 puts its files in C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\Office
    Office 2003 puts its files in C:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\Office11

I don't know about Office 2007 so not sure what 'Office12' might be.

I suggest you copy the following line and paste it into the field labelled
    'application used to perform action' in the dialog box no 3 in your post#20

Then click back on OK and apply through the boxes.

Let us know if this resolves the problem

31. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

No sir, not found in search.

No change.
    :(

32. plodr

studiot, can she move the viewer she has, so it doesn't point to Office 12 which is not installed? pptview is the newer version.
    I have a ppview32 on my computer, the older version (for 2000) and I do not run XP so I can't test it to see what happens if it is moved.

33. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Let us remember that this thread belongs to Varmint_Hunter so I will answer both as I expect that the solution is similar.

@Ooops,
    Reviewing again your post#20 I notice that the open command is missing from the list of actions in the'edit file type box'. Also the presence of an Office 12 folder indicates your version of the powerpoint viewer is 2007.

So go back to this box and click on new
    In the 'Edit Action Box' which then opens type into the action field

open

In the Application used to perform action: field, type the following exactly:

Uncheck the Use DDE box
    Click OK, OK
    Close the Folder Options dialog

Do the same for PPT files.

@Varmint_Hunter
    I don't know if your version of the powerpoint viewer is 2007 or earlier. for the 2003 version you will need the following path instead of the office12 one

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\pptview.exe" "%1"

Uncheck the Use DDE box
    Click OK, OK
    Close the Folder Options dialog

Let us know if this resolves the problem.

34. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

YES YES YES! That did the trick!
    [​IMG]

I can't Thank You guys enough for your help and patience. My apologies for taking a hissy fit, looking back at it now I can see how I came across. I was confused and frustrated.
    [​IMG]

My apologies as well to Varmint_Hunter, for hijacking this thread. I should've posted a new thread for my own powerpoint problem, however, because we were both experiencing the same problem, I thought it would've been appropriate to keep it all in one thread. I hope Varmint_Hunter will find that this resolves his problem as well.
    :wave

My sincere Thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  35. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Glad it worked out Ok. Like the smilies.

;)

36. varmint_hunter

hey guys...i know this is old , don't get here often enough , but i never got a reply to my original "powerpoint" problem , so i just typed it in the majorgeeks search box and up came several fixes , the first of which was a patch type link to download something i needed and it works perfectly . what i don't know about pc's would fill a book , so i love this site and all you people that contribute in the forums. All i can say is THANK YOU for being you.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  37. varmint_hunter

No apologies needed my friend , i should have came back here and told everyone where i got my fix. turns out , when i waited some few days for someone to reply to my powerpoint problem , i just decided to type it in the majorgeeks search box and i found a link to the fix . it described the problem i was having word for word and it worked great. forgive me if i can't find it now , but i have slept since then. Thanks to all you people for just being here and being you.:wave

My apologies as well to Varmint_Hunter, for hijacking this thread. I should've posted a new thread for my own powerpoint problem, however, because we were both experiencing the same problem, I thought it would've been appropriate to keep it all in one thread. I hope Varmint_Hunter will find that this resolves his problem as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds