"Preparing to Install" message wehn loading Office 2007

Discussion in 'Software' started by cdoug55, Sep 28, 2009.

1. cdoug55

cdoug55 Private E-2

Hi guys. I bought a new laptop a couple months ago with Vista on it. It had the usual trial version of Office 2007. Now when I initially used the trial version i went through whatever steps were to start it up. The weird thing is whenever I would open a doc from say Firefox or even save to my hard drive it would always give me the message "Preparing to Install" almost as if Word/Office was being installed or started for the first time. The trial verision ran out and I was able to get a discounted full version of Office 2007 through student discount. So I uninstalled (or at least believe I fully uninstalled) the trial version and installed the new copy I purchased.

Now the message still appears and furthermore if I attempt to open a doc from Firefox it stalls on that message and then gives me an error about Windows Installer not being found or something along those lines. If I open from IE it works fine...in other words it still brings up the Installing message but then actually opens the doc.

Any ideas? The documents open fine, just seems a bit annoying to have that process each time, plus the fact that i cant open from firefox now.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You probably need to remove the entry for the trial version from the Windows Installer. You can use the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Tool available at this link. When you run it, you'll be shown a list of all programs installed on your PC. Scroll down and highlight ONLY the trial version entry, then click 'Remove'. That should do it. Be sure you run the cleanup tool as Administrator (right click the MSICUU.EXE file and select 'Run as Administrator'). Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

[dlb]
    :-D

3. cdoug55

cdoug55 Private E-2

Thanks! I'll try it tonight.

4. cdoug55

cdoug55 Private E-2

Ok so I totally forgot to do this until now. I downloaded it and could not find the trial version. There is a list of all different MS Office programs and the a MS Office Ultimate ( this i believe is the full version I recently installed). Any ideas?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I got a computer with the trial preloaded. I also purchased a box set of Office 2007. In the box, the directions say:'Check if Office Home and Student 2007 Trial is preloaded on your computer. Check Start, All Programs, Microsoft Office.
    If the trial is preloaded:
    1. Start Word
    2. Locate the 25-digit product key on the back of the media folder
    3. Enter the key to unlock the software and follow the onscreen instructions to activate your license.

If the trial is not preloaded:
    1. Download Office Home and Student edition 2007 from www.getmicrosoftoffice.com
    2. Once it is downloaded, start Microsoft Word
    3. Enter the 25 digit product key and follow the onscreen instructions.

6. cdoug55

cdoug55 Private E-2

Any other ideas?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds