Preparing to reformat and reinstall Windows XP on Dell Dimension 2400

Discussion in 'Software' started by Endgame, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Endgame

Endgame Private E-2

I recently installed SP3 on my Dell Dimension 2400, and it screwed things up. It won't let me uninstall it, so it would appear my only option at this point is to do a complete reformatting.

I have a Dell reinstall XP +SP1 CD. From what I've gathered, this works for ALL Dell PCs, not sure if it came with mine, or my mother's Dimension 2350. Supposedly, it'll check the BIOS to see if it is a Dell computer, and then it will work. Regardless of model. (No model or BIOS version is listed on the CD its self.)

However, I have some questions I'd like to have answered before I proceed.

1. I've seen some instructions on how to make your own XP reinstall CD. Would doing that, or using the Dell reinstall CD be preferable?

2. If the Dell CD, there is..... something on the CD. I tried wiping it with a damp cloth, but it wouldn't come off. I've heard coating a CD in toothpaste is a good way to clean it. Is it really such a good idea?

3. I've heard that as of 2006, Microsoft no longer honors product keys from OEMs. Does this mean I'm screwed if it asks me for a product key? (The key it came with is still on the sticker on the PC.)

4. Since I've gotten the PC, I've added a wireless card, a video card, and a 512MB RAM stick. Should I remove these things before proceeding?

5. Dell computers come with these CDs for drivers, I cannot tell if the ones I've found are for my 2400, or mother's 2350. But I know Dell's website has them available for download. Will I need these drivers before I can access the internet, or will I be able to just download them from Dell's website?

Thanks in advance.

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

How has Sp3 screwed up. Please be more explicit.

Use the CD only if it came for your box.

Are all your drivers up to date. Check on the Dell site for your specific Tag#

Forget Toothpaste!!

Cheers..

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

I'm not giving definitive advice but a few ideas. Wait to see if someone who has actually use nlite for slipstreaming can give you more info.

1) nlite is the program most use for slip-streaming (creating your own installation CD). Because you are unsure of the quality of your installation disc--I would at minimum copy that disc even if you didn't add the service packs or updates. Even a tiny error reading the disc and you will have trouble installing.

2) No toothpaste. As you get towards the very center edge of the disc it is possible to get water etc. in between layers of plastic.

3) I don't see a problem entering your key.

4) Leave them in, but have drivers ready just in case they aren't recognized. They aren't going to invalidate the license.

5) You can browse your driver CD now. Just put it in, let it autoplay, hit next and check the dropdown box to see if the 2400 is listed in applicable systems.
    If it is the wrong disc, go to DELL now, enter your tag number and download the drivers you will need (old video, broadband adapter, monitor, etc.) and write to a data CD. You can just insert the CD on the new OS and execute the files to install them. **If your broadband/wireless card isn't recognized you won't have immediate internet access to get them later**.

God Luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds