Presario 7470 and slow RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Allochthonous, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Hello. I have an old Compaq Presario 7470 that I just recently turned into a dual boot Win98/PCLinuxOS machine. After looking into a RAM upgrade, I realized that my system analyzer programs reports that the 256 MB (2 - Crucial 128MB sticks) of PC100 RAM that is installed and should be supported by the board, is only running at 66mhz (64mhz actually)

Here is the log:

SysId 2.0a By Morf (www.sysid.subnet.dk)
    ----------------------------------------

Cpu Vendor : AuthenticAMD
    Processor Socket/Slot : Super Socket 7 (321 Pin PGA)
    Processor : AMD K6-2 (CXT) (0.25)
    Cpu Clock : 533.53 MHz
    FSB Clock : 97.00 MHz
    Multiply : 5.5

Family : 5
    Model : 8
    Stepping : 12
    Type : 0

Level 1 Cache : 64 K
    Level 2 Cache : 512 K
    Level 2 Cache speed : 97.00 MHz

MMX Support : Yes
    MMX+ Support : No
    3DNOW! Support : Yes
    3DNOW! 2 Support : No
    SSE Support : No
    SSE 2 Support : No

Chipset : VIA Apollo MVP4 (Rev. 04)

Physical memory : 251 Mb
    Memory Clock : 64.66 MHz
    Cas Latency : 3
    Ras to Cas Delay : -
    Ras Precharge : -

Windows Uptime : 00:24:11 and 0 Day's

Platform : Windows 98 Second Edition Ver. 4.10

According to Belarc Advisor, the board is a Compaq 0648h.

There is no speed choice in the BIOS menu, nor does it even report the RAM speed.

I chatted with Compaq support this morn, and the rep had me try another system analyzer, which could not even report all details about the RAM. He then suggested that I try updating the BIOS, which i did. However, i think i just flashed the same version.

Is there any way to tell for sure that my RAM speed is set at and how would i change it if it is running slow? Someone on another board suggested that i might have to change some jumpers on the board, but i dont have the manual to even point me in the right direction.

Anyone here have a clue? Should I head back to Compaq support?

It's not that big of a deal, but i find it bothersome.

PK

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

PC133 RAM is the fastest that this machine will take, max RAM is 512mb. I would upgrade the RAM, along with the hard drive to a faster one/ more space. As for updating the Bios, all it would do is resolve some minor issues, not make the FSB and RAM run faster. A 533Mhz machine will only run so fast, and is not going to be as fast as a more modern machine.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Compaq%2BPresario&mfr=Compaq&tabid=AM&model=Presario+7470&submit=Go

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=94486&dlc=en&docname=c00012507
    Compaq Presario 7470 Desktop PC - Product Specifications [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    QuickSpecs Compaq 7470 January 2000

MODEL: COMPAQ 7470

Compaq P/N - 163881-004

Standard Features Dimensions & Weights (H x W x D) Unit: 16.55" x 8.76" x 17.30" (25.3 lbs.)

Package: 24.06" x 13.13" x 22.44" (36.6 lbs.) Processor 533 MHz AMD K-6(r) 2 processor with 3D NOW!(tm) technology System Bus 97 MHz system bus System Memory 64 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM, shared memory architecture, two total DIMM slots upgradable to 512 MB - 8 MB dedicated for video memory (SyncDRAM DIMM required) Hard Drive 20.0 GB UltraDMA hard drive CD-RW Drive Maximize your PC with the ultimate multifunction CD recorder.

Use CD-R and CD-RW media for recording or rewriting capability.

Store up to 650 MB of data or up to 74 minutes of music

24X Max reading and 4X Max recording

Create CD-ROM discs quickly and easily with just!burn(r) Modem 56K ITU V.90 modem Cache 512KB L2 Pipeline Burst Cache Compaq Internet Keyboard The Internet Button Suite gives you one-touch access to the hottest spots on the Web.

Instant Internet - Your personalized start page with news and information you need everyday

Instant E-mail- One-touch access for sending and receiving your E-mail

Instant Search - Instant access to AltaVista, one of America's favorite search engine Entertainment Ideas. The online, inside scoop on the world of entertainment featuring music downloads, streaming video, webcasts, entertainment news and reviews.

Retail Central- Your instant connection to the store where you purchased your PC.

Community - Live events, discussion boards and unique content that make the Web a friendlier place.

My - Your instant connection to Compaq for product information, helpful hints, performance updates, service and more

Compaq Built-in Technician - Automated assistance over the Internet

Multimedia controls:

• Play/Pause

• Mute Button

• Previous Track & Next Track

• Quick Print

• Sleep

• Stop

• Volume Up/Down

• 104-key Compaq Windows(r) keyboard Internet Access Quick and easy internet access with the purchase of a Compaq Internet PC

150 hour free trial from Compaq.NET

Reliable, national coverage with local dial-up numbers across the country

Service plans starting at $9.99 per month with no startup fee

150 hour free trial from AOL

Free Internet access from NetZero paid for by advertisers Graphics Trident Graphics Integrated in the ViaChipset.

Integrated 2X AGP 3D Graphics

Integrated 64-bit hardware-accelerated 3D graphics

MPEG full-motion video playback

Maximum non-interlaced resolution of up to 1600 x 1200 (when supported by monitor) Creativity Action Center 7 Two USB ports conveniently located on the front of the PC provide a quick and easy connection for USB cameras, scanners and gamepads. Compaq Audio ESS Allegro PCI Audio

Create, organize and play digital MP3, WMA or personal CD audio files on your PC

FM Synthesis Compaq Multimedia Audio CD player

Video Player (AVI, MPEG and others) Power Supply Steady-state 145 watts

Energy Star Compliant Diskette Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive Mouse Internet scroll mouse Expansion Slots (Four total) One PCI slot with modem installed

Three PCI slots open for expansion Expansion Bays (Five total) 3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive

Hard drive

CD-RW drive

Two external drive bays open for expansion Rear I/O Interfaces Four USB ports ( 2 front, 2 back)

Serial RS-232C compatible, DB9 connector (16550)

Parallel EPP/ECP standard centronics-compatible interface (DB25 connector)

Joystick/MIDI/Gamepad compatible game port (front accessible)

Two RJ-11 phone jacks (1 input, 1 output)

Audio ports (line-in, line-out and microphone-in)

Mouse and keyboard ports

Monitor connection (VGA) Compatibility/Compliance Plug-and-Play

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI)

Year 2000 (Y2K) Hardware Compliant 12

This product was developed for compliance with the Compaq Year 2000 Readiness Program Compaq Extra Mile Service and Support The best approach to customer service, delivered just the way you want it.

1-year U.S. Limited Warranty 1 year parts and labor (carry-in)

Technical support: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week . Compaq Remote Support Allows a Compaq technician to connect to your PC and resolve technical difficulties over the phone. Compaq Service Connection Free PC tune-ups performed automatically over the Web. Preinstalled Software McAfee Virus Scan

just!burn(r)

Microsoft(r) Money 2000

Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 98 Second Edition

Microsoft(r) Windows(r) Media Player

Microsoft(r) Works 2000

RioPort Audio Manager Internet/Online America Online

Compaq.NET

Microsoft(r) Internet Explorer

NetZero Software on CD Logitech QuickCam TM Express

Microsoft(r) Encarta(r) Encyclopedia 2000

3. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Uhhh....thanks....but I knew all of that already and that really had nothing to do with my question, which was why is this RAM only running at 66mhz and how to I kick it up to its full 100mhz?

But thanks anyway.

PK

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The RAM will not run at 100Mhz, due to overhead and such. The most you will get is around 66Mhz, which is correct for that particular machine. There is no ran that will ever run at its full potential, due to overhead, system differences from one to the other, and other things.

Short answer is, the max the FSB runs on that machine is 97mhz, but 66mhz is right for that processor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds