Presario S4210NX IDE RAID controller XP install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt8911, Apr 5, 2010.

1. matt8911

matt8911 Private E-2

Hi Everyone I need help installing XP Home on a IDE RAID controller PCI card. I tried to search for similar threads with little or no success. If you can help me search that would be great.
    I had a 330 GB disk installed but its too big for the onboard BIOS to handle(even if its partitioned in two). Next I am trying to install with the IDE RAID card and I have two options 1. A IDE RAID controller PCI with a VIA chip on it OR 2. A Ultra-133 Medley ATA RAID controller (in IDE mode) with Sil Image 0680 chip on it.
    Win XP install Barriers
    VIA RAID PCI controllerThis card allows me to boot to windows CD and get to the F6 drivers install point. But when I try to install the drivers I get a error message saying that there was an error at C: ...........and some system drivers are listed. :cry By this time I had copied the install files from the XP cd so maybe thats the problem here. install sees other drivers that are certified by MS?:confused
    Sil Image RAID PCI controller (0680) card model WBT-6010from winbond ??
    Now this card just boots up and tries to run the drive every time and cannot boot to CD. always get the "NTLDR is missing" message and crt alt delete to reboot. I have tried just about every thing to get to CD on this card except physical install while system is at CD(which is not wise?).
    Anyway, Let me know if you find other threads I can reference or help with setting this up on 330 Western Digital 160 GB IDE drive.

SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
    Compaq Presario S4210NX 2.4 GHz P4 CPU
    1GB RAM (2x 512 MB) one is PNY one is kingston.
    Win XP Home SP2 (have SP3 installer)
    WD1600JB WD Caviar SE (its ancient I know)
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive model SOHC-5236K
    Here is my other thread that explains where I have been. Also I have found the drives do support 48-bit LBA not like the thread explains.
    Any other info available upon request.
    Thanks in advance, Matt

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. matt8911

matt8911 Private E-2

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

4. matt8911

matt8911 Private E-2

Thanks for your quick reply.
    Install disk contains SP 2 (win XP Home) and I have both the SP3 disk and installer file. And as far as adding drivers to the install, I do not know which drivers will work. As stated above, I have had problems with the drivers I think. It is hard to tell what is wrong with the install process at this point, and yes I could try a slipstreamed disk. I have A full install on the 330 GB WD drive(160 GB drive has only copies of install disk). I can reinstall the 330 with windows and install the programs neccessary to create the updated installer disc. What will happen if I just hook the 330 to the WBT-6010 and reboot, will it configure properly?:wave
    Thanks

5. matt8911

matt8911 Private E-2

Hi everyone, I am reporting my progress on my mission to add a PCI IDE card to my Compaq. I have created a Slipstreamed disk with SP3 and also the PCI IDE card driver. I then booted to the CD(SStreamed) and got the message "Boot from CD ROM no-emulation and then setup just starts to examine the hardware and says press F6 to add drivers(pressed F6). Keeping in mind the Mobo BIOS has a setting for SCSI boot device=set to enable.
    When I get to the mass storage detection stage "none" are found. I then press F6 and try to manually load the same drivers (for VIA RAID Controller winXP) and get this message...File \winxp\viaraid.sys could not be loaded. The error code is 18 Press a key to exit. This is the same driver that is on the CD that came with the product, yes I know those drivers are usually old and newer ones are generally available on the web.
    Recent Research on Via controllers
    I found these sites that state the VIA RAID controllers may not work as a bootable device. One person even explains how to integrate BIOS files into the MOBO BIOS. Here are some links..... http://www.viaarena.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40267
    Here is a guide for getting these cards to become bootable http://www.viaarena.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38612 This is getting a bit too complicated and turning my compaq into a boat anchor is not appealing to me. I will try the Sil image card with a Repair install after installing on the onboard IDE. Hope this is the recommended procedure:confused I will look for advice on that too. Thanks for your time and patience.
    Matt8911

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds