presario v5000/no hard drive found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by decadentdog, Mar 7, 2012.

1. decadentdog

decadentdog Private First Class

I have a presario v5000 laptop. It refuses to boot up. It goes to the safe mode screen and that's it. Tried to just reinstall OS, but it says no hdd found. I've had this problem before, but I'm having a brain strain and cannot remeber how I fixed it. Any suggestions. I mchecked the bios and it does'nt show the hdd

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Have you tried reseating the the harddrive?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

No hdd shown in BIOS means a) connection is bad (drive is making a poor connection) or b) the hdd has died.

4. decadentdog

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Turns out I remembered that I had to go into bios and change the settings from Sata to legacy os. I thought that it was something else, but when I saw it was set at sata I decided to see if changing it to legacy helped any. It did and I can guarantee you that I write this down for future problems. Once again thanks

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

After the installation is completed you should be able to turn Sata back on for better performance.

6. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

To add to what has already been said, No Hdd shown in BIOS means the connection is bad or the Hdd is Bad. The BIOS must be able to read the information the maker put on it.

Luck, Jim

7. decadentdog

Alright folks;;; same problem. The laptop worked good these last few days, and the first time I walked off with it running it went to sleep and then I get the same message about no HDD. Could this be a sign that it's old and starting to have heat problems? I did get it to come back on after shutting it down for a few minutes and tapping on the windows logo key while it was booting up. I'm running a HDD self test on it now. Any other suggestions -- besides get a new one.

8. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I would say it has a bad cable if it is not reading or bad HDD If you got both Swap out one at a time too see start with the cable first.

9. decadentdog

Cannot swap cable; it's a laptop. Has a new HDD. If I change the bios from SATA to Legacy, it will boot right up. If it runs for any amount of time it shuts down and starts the error message about no HDD. If I change the settings back to SATA after it boots up, I get the no HDD message again.

10. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , try to pull out your hdd from notebook connecting
    to your desktop if you have , showing if it works !! :wave

11. decadentdog

Hey Falconattack, this HDD does work on my desktop. Like I said, it's new. As long as this laptop hasn't run long and is set to legacy in the bios, it will run good. But after it runs awhile it will shut down. Sometimes when trying to get it to boot up, I get a black screen with lines all over it. No matter what I do thogh, if it shuts itself down I get the no HDD message.

12. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Are you trying to connect with external monitor ? Sorry about my mistake before !! :wave

13. decadentdog

Hey Falconattack, no not hooking to anything, just trying to figure out what's going on with it. Could it having a bad battery have anything to do with this? I just remembered the battery was no good because I never use it anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds