Presario V5000 wont load

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ashley.smith7, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Ashley.smith7

Ashley.smith7 Private E-2

I am sorry I am probably posting on the wrong place but I cant seem to find the post new thread, but my compaq Presario V5000 wont load I get to the orange screen for compaq and it wont load any further, What do I do, I didn't install anything it was working last night turned it off when I went to bed now I try to use it and it wont work? please help!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Re: Compaq Presario v6000 won't turn on anymore.. Please help!

Ashley.smith7, welcome to MajorGeeks.
    Since you probably are looking at a software/windows problem, start here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    and click on the New Thread button near the top left.
    When you post, state what version of windows you are running, and anything you might have tried to solve the problem.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved to software forum for you already but do answer the questions Plodr posted on what Windows version and Service Pack are you using?

If you get to the orange Compaq screen, then try this reboot/turn off the PC an then this time see if you can boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot and choose Safe Mode with networking) and see if yoru PC works ok?

If you can it maybe wisee to try the last restore point using System Restore and see if that helps.

4. Ashley.smith7

The charger is brand new so maybe the ram how do I check that?

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

On many laptops, the battery will discharge completely, if there is a fault in the charging pin at the rear/side of the laptop. This fault cause the low battery warning- although you say the charging light is on, if you had a friend with the same laptop, a quick check would be to try the friends battery- if it starts up, then it points to a charging problem (trouble with a shop is they will not let you use a new battery to check it, unless you have a small private company near you, who has the same laptop.
    Generally, if the battery is still o.k then leaving it on charge with laptop turned off for a while (an hour , or, more) can give it that trickle charge to get enough to start up.
    If that does not work, then either the battery is dead, or, the charge pin is faulty in the laptop.
    If you never had problems with the time on the laptop.then the cmos is usually o.k- some laptops have a detachable cmos battery, nowadays,-some Dell have them next to the memory, or, near under the laptop.
    Others have to be dismantled to get to it- others have the dreaded soldered in cmos- I have not time to look up yours, at the moment.
    Even new chargers can get faulty at any time-not often, but I have had one , or, two.

I hope this will help.:hammer

6. Ashley.smith7

Yes the battery still works tried another friends laptop and it does the same thing it turns on until it get to this orange compaq screen and wont load any further.

7. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

So, let me put this in perspective.

1. Your laptop boots, but wil not load Windows or show the Compaq "splash screen". OR, is it only your friend's Compaq that has an orange display?

2. This laptop is quite a few years old. How long have you had it, and are you the original owner?

3. The trouble code states it is a problem with your memory. Have you removed the cover on the bottom of your laptop which protects the memory modules, and re-seated the memory modules (i.e., removed them, and firmly re-installed them)?

4. Sometimes batteries develop what is called a "memory effect" over time, and you can seal them in a ZipLoc baggie (air pressed out), throw them in the freezer for a week, let the battery thaw to room temperature, and insert it into the laptop. The freezing breaks up the crystalline structures that form in the battery over time, which can prevent it from develping a full charge.

5. Please number your responses for the first three, and address these one at a time.

6. Thanks for using the forum, and welcome aboard!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  8. Ashley.smith7

1. When I use my own charger I only get to the orange compaq screen and the same when I use a friends charger
    2. I've had the laptop for a year who I bought off my grandparents who had it for 2 years
    3. I've tried removing the casing over top of the ram but cannot get it off and don't want to damage it

Thank u

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved to your own already created thread and please answer some of the questions in post #3. cheers.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Beginning to get the picture- it shows the compaq screen logo, but goes no further------
    This can be a faulty/failing hard drive problem- I will try to get some pictures , and information for you of where this is, and how the ram cover comes off- sometimes it will slide a little to one sidee, after removing any screws to the cover- the same with the hard drive.
    But answer as many questions from the others, as best you can.
    I have a little spare time, now, so I will come back.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

There are three screws holding the ram cover on, and it lifts up from the centremost side and appears to have tabs that lip under the next panel, which is the hard drive cover- remove battery before touching ram.
    The hard drive is under the next cover ,adjcent to corners,this lifts out from the outer rim, is held by two screws, and clips under adjacent to the ram cover.
    I would do one check before going into removing anything
    Start yur laptop, and hold down F10 KEY, and enter the bios/setup screen- in the bios , see if the hard drive shows up- if it does not, then you have a hard drive problem.
    To leave the setup screen , press F10, and follow on screen --press y, and then enter to restart.

12. Ashley.smith7

The screws on the plate protecting the ram are stuck and I cannot get them offf they just spinn wont loosen nor tighten, I did the F10 thing and yes the hardware did come up

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

These screws to that cover do not come out of the cover- once turned , and spinning- with preferably a plastic tool' like a guitar plectrum, or kids plastic knife to avoid scuufing, or, other damage, lift the side that the screws are on where the indent is, and it should come free. As you lift it, pull it in towards the centre of the laptop, and it will come out. If the screws do not see to loosen enough, you may have to lever the cover carefully, and unscrew as you lift to make them come out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds