"Press DEL for setup" - Nothing.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tom50, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Tom50

Tom50 Private E-2

Hi! -
    I am not on the internet.
    Am trying to reboot from XP Prof. disk -
    (I caught "1.Taz" and his friends. -
    So I am restarting, and not using USB in future.)

Opening screen says "For setup press DEL" - OK. Nothing.
    DEL is the key above the return key, right?
    Nor F2. or F3 etc.

- Searched "Boot" and found this -

(Boot loader)
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk9(0)partition(1\WINDOWS
    (Operating systems)
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
    WINDOWS=Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fast detect
    /No execute=OptOut

- "No execute=OptOut" ?? - Does this mean I cannot reboot?
    Can I change it?

Thank you for any advice

Tom50

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

The boot file you found is Xp's boot.ini which looks proper. The No execute switch is not really important for troubleshooting it has nothing to do with your current problems. http://www.maxi-pedia.com/noexecute+DEP+parameter+optin+optout

The DEL(ete) button is to the right of the "\" button among a group of six buttons including Home, Page up and page down (on a desktop keyboard) at the top right on many laptops.

Describe what happens when you power on your computer with no CD running. The "press DEL to enter Startup"/BIOS is normal on all computers but flashes for only about 15 seconds so you probably never paid attention to it. What happens on the screen after that will give a clue as to what is wrong with Windows XP.

If you only want to boot from the XP CD try F12 immediately after powering on to see if it gives you a choice to boot from CD.

3. Tom50

Tom50 Private E-2

Sach2

Thanks for reply
    F12 does nothing - disc in or out.

Disc in or out, I get screen - with choices
    -------------------------------------
    Standard CMOS set up
    Bios features set up
    Chipset setup
    Power management setup
    PNP/Pci Config.
    Integrated peripherals
    Load setup defaults
    User password
    IDE HDD detection
    Save & exit set up
    Exit without saving
    ---------------------------------

I go to BIOS features set up
    says <BIOS> <set up>

then no options except Quit, Save & exit & change colour (light relief!)
    and "Virus protection. Boot sequence"

No options to go further . .

I am new to all this.

Thank you

Tom50

4. sach2

Try powering up and hitting DEL to enter Setup and then using the arrow keys to select/highlight BIOS Features Setup and then hitting the <enter> button to select it. It looks to me then when you select BIOS Features Setup you should get the attached screen.

Then from that screen use the arrow keys to go to Boot Sequence and then the Page up and Page down keys to select CDROM, C, A from the list of choices. This sequence is the only available that puts cdrom before HD.

Then I believe F5 will take you back to the main menu where you will use arrow up and down keys to highlight Save and Exit and then hit <enter> to select it. (If F5 doesn't take you back to the main menu try the ESC key at the top left of keyboard.

Restart and see if it now boots from your CDROM.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  5. sach2

Hi, looking again at that screen beisdes pageup/pagedown button you may need to use +/- keys to toggle or activate your choice of CDROM,C,A

Remember, you can always Quit the program without saving changes if hitting the wrong key changes something you don't intend and try again.

6. Tom50

Tom50 Private E-2

Thank You. Did all that.

So - Disc in
    Start up in "Safe mode with command prompt"
    "CMD.EXE"
    says
    C:/Documents and Settings/Tom>_

Presume must change line to D:/ (Something) ?

D:/XP = "Not recognised"

So back to the Setup page?

7. sach2

Hi Tom,

You seem to be jumping in between Windows and the BIOS/Setup program.

Powering up with CD in tray you should have seen the "Del for setup" screen for a few seconds and done nothing then the screen should have gone blank with a blinking cursor at the top left for several seconds while the CD spun up then you should have gotten a message Press any key to Boot from CD, where you would have pressed the space bar or any other key. If you didn't see the "Press any Key" message then the computer did not read the CD properly.

Instead it sounds like you have started your normal Windows but in Safe Mode.

Can you explain a bit what you are trying to do or what problem you are having with Windows so we can figure out the best way for you to go forward?

To troubleshoot booting from the XP CD you may want to go back into Setup and just double check the current Boot Sequence to see if the changes have been saved and your choice is showing as CDROM, C, A. [Just confirm that it is now showing your choice without changing anything]

8. Tom50

Tom50 Private E-2

Sach2

Going back to check all you said.

Problem was/is 1.TAZ. tazebama.dll & dl_ .Wiped out Coreldraw12.

I reloaded CDrw from disc. > Logo flashed briefly, then nothing.
    Now cannot load at all. "Script not available" or similar.

It will READ discs. I have opened up XP.
    and yet - when I tried to run a Registry cleaner d/loaded from

http://www.filebuzz.com/findsoftware/No_Registration_Required_Free_Pc_Cleaner/freeware-2.html

- from a trusted computer guy, it said "Does not recognise any disc device"
    The idea being that you burn the info to a fresh disc - to use.

Been 2 weeks on this, getting fed up. Need CDrw for work. Menues. Layouts.
    But cannot/dont want to pay another 60 eur. to a guy.

So, a fresh start.
    And not use USB in future.
    Real drag, but I just cannot see a way to stop these thing

(The automatic AntiV in the net cafe - "USB Disc Security" - delets the viruses detected -
    BUT NOT the offshoots that have scattered into the folders. It was necess. to go through folder by folder and delete the varients. "Nokia apps" e.g.)

These AntiV downloads too, are suspect.
    Also I need to register before they clean - but I cannot cos not on internet.

I deleted all the bugs I found. "Hook" "Nokia Apps" "Word.text" etc etc
    One left - tazebama.dll in Doc & Setgs - would not delete -
    thought Id be clever - opened it with wordpad - deleted all the gobblydook ("code"?) - and tried to save it under the same name - Ha Ha GOT YOU! -
    No. It would not have it!

What can one do? Start again.
    If the $$$, then simply go and get another tower. No problem!
    ---------------------------------------------------

After Enlightenment
    The laundry . .

9. Tom50

Tom50 Private E-2

Sach2 - Hi!

Checked and enabled all I could.
    BIOS features setup inc. (CDROM,A,C)
    F10 save & exit set up?
    Yes - press enter.

1) It automatically starts up normally - or
    2) Restart - starts normally -
    or offers safe mode as photo

No where, anywhere, do I see an option to boot from disc.
    ???

Attached Files:

10. Tom50

Tom50 Private E-2

Sach2

Any applications I can use ?
    See a few in your download sections.
    "BIOS" and "HDD" etc

11. sach2

It looks like your boot order is correct and the PC sees the CDROM device so I don't understand why it isn't booting from the CD.

Maybe, troubleshoot the CD itself? Is the XP disc a retail/Compaq disc or is it one written by yourself or a friend?

Do you have any other bootable CD that you could test to see if the PC will boot from it?

You could disconnect electricity from the PC; open the case and disconnect the 4-wire power connector from the HardDrive. Then boot the computer and see if it boots from the CD. (This would tell us if the CD is bootable/readable since the PC will have no other choice but to boot from CD. Make sure there is nothing in the floppy drive.)

[​IMG]

Not CD related:

I'm not capable of helping with Virus removal we have a special forum for that. It requires severalprograms be run and logs submitted which may be cumbersome since you have no home internet.

That said, I'm uncertain about the website or registry cleaner you mentioned earlier--I didn't see anything of relevance to your virus situation.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  12. Tom50

Tom50 Private E-2

Sach 2

OK. Unplugged hard drive > then F1 >
    "Please insert system disk and press enter" (see photo)
    Green light flickers then nothing.

> So to test the drive D:/ disc > and there is the XP disc exposed. (Photo)
    ------------------

> The photo that says about deleting the "newer XP", (+ SP3), is the one the guy in the shop put on, when he cleaned up C:/ before. Could getting rid of this newer version help? How? Pressed "details" but nothing happens.

Before this virus happened, the XP in the tray - the one that is on C:/ (I suppose it IS there still (?) - and CDrw, got along fine. That is all I want/need.

The last photo shows the 1.TAZ and will delete - only to reappear a few seconds later.

----------------------

I was not meaning virus remove - but something I could download to USB and boot from there? Ha! Copy the XP > Documents > USB ? That will bypass troublesome D drive. Will try.

Thanking you for your help so far. You have hundreds of clients!

Attached Files:

13. sach2

Yes, the CDROM is working in Windows and BIOS sees it. For some reason the PC doesn't want to boot from the disc. The first screen basically is saying that the PC does not think that the CD is a bootable type which of course it should be as it is an installation disc.

All I can think of is to try a different CDROM. I'll post back later tonight if anything else comes to mind but without being able to boot an installation disc you have limited options. I don't think that computer is capable of booting from USB.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds