Preventing Malware

Discussion in 'Software' started by AlasKen, Oct 3, 2011.

1. AlasKen

AlasKen Private E-2

I am not sure the best place to post this. I am trying to find a secure method of moving files from home to office. Our office has a rule stating that you should not bring a thumb drive into the office from home without going through IT. This is to prevent infecting the work network. IT can run a Symantec scan on the USB device but is still not in favor of using the USB due to what might not be caught on a scan.

Any ideas of methods that IT might be willing to implement that allows the convenience of USB drives and the security that IT needs. I am in the position of greatly influencing this research if I had a direction to suggest. Of course IT would be researching in order to feel confortable. Thanks in advance. If there is a better forum for this question please advise.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

There is not a lot that you can do to insure that any USB device is clean without running scans on them. Your IT department would have to insist that all employees install programs such as AutoEater on their home computers and scan them with something like USB Vaccine. But that would require faith that all employees took these measures.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It is not so much infection, it is more so the fact that you are possibly dealing with proprietary information on the workstation. Along with the fact, that a person could bring in a keychain drive, that is a keylogger is another reason. If IT is doing its job, you as a user, should not be able to use the USB interface for anything other than keyboard & mouse, no use of DVD or CD-Rom drive, can not use the hard drive in the work station for storage of files for personal use, other than those needed to run the Windows operating system. Nor, should a user be able to change workstation settings for their personal logon.

There is no reason, unless you have a job that requires that you take power point slides, word documents, spreadsheets to another office, that you would not have access from, to your personal storage space.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds