Preventing shutdowns

Discussion in 'Software' started by drakeero, Jan 18, 2006.

1. drakeero

drakeero Private E-2

I run Windows XP Pro: Service Pack 2

In the abscense of any sort of documentation, information, or anything, for the wonderful mix of viruses, spyware, and trojans that come from the .wmf exploit 'whatever it is', I have begun to try to take them on one by one myself using a wide array of various utility programs, several which I have found either on Major Geeks, or SysInternals. Since I may end up having the whole laptop reimaged, I don't quite care about how much damage I do to the OS in the process. However... a major snag is that lots of stuff love to force your computer to shutdown if you mess with them. Very few of the utility programs I have try to resist this, and the few that do usually fail. Does anyone know of a utility that runs in the background that can resist shutdowns, preferably all shutdowns even ones called by the user, until it is disabled?

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

If it were me, I would visit the "Malware Removal" forum and talk to the nice people over there.:) With a lot of the tools available, you can totaly fubar your Windows if used incorrectly.

3. drakeero

drakeero Private E-2

As I said, I've intended to try to manually trace and get rid of these myself, and I really don't care if the system gets fubar'ed or not. If it gets screwed, I'll have the whole drive re-imaged, or just reinstall the OS from scratch. I currently have several megabytes of files hidden under rootkits not counting system restore files and as soon as i get it off, I'm going to attempt to mass delete them all using a specialized delete program. I'm looking for a software that gives me greater manual control over my operating system, such as denying a shutdown.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds