Preventing static when installing RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by khix, Feb 20, 2009.

1. khix

khix Private E-2

I am wanting to install some more RAM on my computer (it's a gateway computer with a micro tower...running windows xp home if that makes a difference), and I just want to make sure I do it correctly & safely. I don't have an anti static wrist strap, and I'd like to not have to purchase one, but I will get one if it's absolutely needed. Is it possible to do this safely without a wrist strap? I'm thinking I need to power off the computer, unplug the peripherals, and also unplug the power cord? Also, the computer manual says to press the power to drain all residual power. Then, while standing on linoleum & having the computer on a wooden table, I slide the cover off.....now can I put in more RAM while just keeping one hand on the back of the tower, the unpainted metal part? Will this enough to prevent static? Any tips & advice will be much appreciated!

2. MaNGaFaN09

MaNGaFaN09 Private E-2

I dont see why not, I install my ram using the same method and my computer is running great.

3. PCJinx

PCJinx Private First Class

Being gounded is all you need to be.
    Turn off the computer and power supply... but keep it plugged in.
    That way the computer case is grounded... and your truely grounded.
    And as you said... keep one hand on the case while handling the RAM.

Do this and it doesn't matter whether the computer is setting on a table or a carpet.

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I strongly disagree with upper post, unplug pc, hold down power button 5 seconds to drain power off mother board, touch the case before handling ram. ed

5. khix

khix Private E-2

Thanks, all!

Yeah, the manual said to unplug the pc from the wall, not leave it plugged in, so I plan on doing that. It also said that after unplugging everything, to press the power button to drain residual power. It didn't say to hold it down though, but that makes sense that I should hold it down to make sure everything is drained.

So, wish me luck! I intend to do this either this evening or tomorrow!

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Don't bother holding the power button down. When you press it with the power cord removed, you'll hear a faint and almost high-pitched "whoosh" sound from the power supply. When it goes quiet you're good. You'll very likely need both hands to get the RAM in any way, no point tying one of them up if you can avoid it.

On that note, you don't need to keep your hand on the unpainted metal as long as you touch it for a moment before you handle the RAM. If you need to move around, touch the metal again to discharge any build-up before you touch the memory module.

From your first post, it sounds as if you've already got the most important parts figured out: Linoleum floor and wood table, and unplugged computer. Just use common sense and good judgment from there on and you'll do fine. :)

7. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi All,

Leaving plugged in and turning off the switch, if there, on the back of the power supply keeps all power completely off (breaks both sides of the AC line) but, keeps the Earth Ground on. I would think that that would be the most protection used with a wrist strap. HKix's idea of putting one hand on the case (metal chassis) would be equivalent to a wrist strap. Most folks don't bother with any of it. Just a thought!

Good luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds