"Primary Master Drive Fails"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChappyEight, Dec 8, 2007.

1. ChappyEight

ChappyEight Private E-2

I searched this site for more information on this problem but didn't really find what I was looking for.

This morning I sat down at my PC to see the "Primary master drive fails" screen up on my computer.

I have some advanced knowledge but am by no means a computer expert, especially when it comes to hardware.

That being said, I have no idea what to do. I don't mind just buying another hard drive but it's been about 6 months since I backed up and there are things I need to get from that HD. There are 2 hd's on this machine but it appears that the primary slave is not showing up. Here is the screen I'm getting:

The biggest thing is I'm hoping that I can get the drive working long enough to get the information from it and then I can purchase another.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

I would try disconnecting the working drive, connect the apparently broken drive but set as Master rather than slave. Boot the PC with a bootable floppy which has fdisk on it. Then type from the A:\> prompt

fdisk /mbr

This will reset the Master Boot Record and may get the drive working again.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It sounds to me like the drive is dead. :( Try downloading and running the Maxtor drive diagnostic from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Maxtor_Powermax_d1386.html
    The tip posted above will only work if the drive is FAT32 format. If you're running XP or Win2000, you probably are running NTFS format.

4. ChappyEight

ChappyEight Private E-2

Thanks for the info. I flashed the bios by removing the battery for an hour or so. It seems to be working now but I still don't completely trust it. I suppose it's time to start looking into building a new one (which isn't a bad thing).

5. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Very true I'm far too used to Win98SE! ;)

The equivalent for XP is to go to the Recovery Console and use the FIXMBR command which is the equivalent of what I suggested above. See here for how to use the Recovery Console.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds