Primary Master Hard Disk Error w/ a twist... (HELP)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shad0ws, Mar 31, 2011.

1. shad0ws

shad0ws Private E-2

I currently own an Asus CG5270. Rebooted it the other day to install some Windows updates and left off overnight. Booted it up the next day and I'm getting a "Primary Master Hard Disk Error." I immediately figured the hard drive had bit the dust. I rebooted and entered the BIOS to check and see if it was still recognized. Still showing in the BIOS so my next move was to try and install Windows 7 again and reformat the drive hoping that the recovery disk would recognize the hard disk since the BIOS was and I could reformat from there.

Well, I received no luck in that process. When I boot up with the recovery disk, I get to the format screen but it tells me "CD/DVD Device Driver is missing." That pretty much left me stumped. I then proceeded to try and boot up without the CD/DVD drive plugged in but I still get the Master Hard Disk error. Next, I found an old 80GB SATA drive and replaced my original 750GB SATA drive with this old one. Wala, the computer booted right up from that hard drive.

From there I knew that the motherboard, data cable, and power cables were good. This once again put me back to thinking the hard drive was bad. Went out and bought a Seagate 1TB SATA drive and installed that, same errors. Took my old 750GB drive and the new 1TB drive to another computer and both of them work. I've tried booting up with different sticks and amounts of ram in different locations sourced from the motherboard manual. Nothing seems to work. I would really appreciate any kind of help, sorry for the long read.

2. ouranos

ouranos Private E-2

a long shot change the cable and the power connector also connect the calbe to diferent port on the motherboard. last resort reflash bios?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds