Print job triggers a buzzer, bell or light?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by handygal, Feb 22, 2011.

1. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

One of two bizarre hardware questions. I get the most obscure requests all the time and I really try hard to find a way to accomodate them.

Today's request part one of two:

In a large warehouse, the staff has asked if there is some sort of device that will alert them when a pick ticket prints. The current config is an okidata dot printer on a networked print server. They want a buzzer or a bell or a flashing light - something that will tell them that they need to get a ticket and pull it. I'm not finding anything.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I'd say use an IR door alarm, one like stores use. It is an IR projector that reflects off what looks like a bike reflector. Mount it above the printer & the reflector in the tray so the paper breaks the beam & the alarm sounds.
    Or any IR door alarm like that may work.

http://www.entryalertproducts.com/site/1313934/product/80-500

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

EDIT: It may even be simpler. You may be able to use the Windows Task Scheduler to fire off the stacklight and not require .NET to watch the print queue.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Another option: most Okidata models have an external ticket alarm buzzer available as an accessory.

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

All great options. Oki has a . . . now why have I never found that??? Thanks, i'm going to see what I can do with all of the suggestions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds