print to file from network printer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kenshell, Nov 30, 2007.

1. kenshell

kenshell Private E-2

I have a network printer that receives print jobs from a remote location.
    If I do a print screen I can do a “print to file” but if I request a report it goes right from the remote server to the printer.
    I would like to print to file so I can transfer the report to excel instead of the print job printing and then typing it into excel.

I use attachmate software to make a 3270 connection to a remote server.
    When printing reports, we print to a net name.
    When I want a report, I print to "ph0079" which is a network printer here.
    IP is 172.16.97.50

2. kenshell

kenshell Private E-2

hate to bump but I really need to know if this can be done

3. ralph3124

ralph3124 Private First Class

Use File, Print, then check the PRINT TO FILE box?

4. kenshell

kenshell Private E-2

There is no option to print to file for a report being its a networked printer and the print job is requested through an emulation app.
    If I had to screen print, I could do that but not when the print job comes from the emulation app.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You add a ghost local printer.

6. kenshell

kenshell Private E-2

In order to print my reports through 3270 client software, the printer must be tabled "on" their network and be on mine.

Example, I print to "phud0079" which is printer 172.16.97.54
    Here is a picture of requesting a print job.

Attached Files:

7. kenshell

kenshell Private E-2

Is there a way that I can set up a pc and make it look like a printer to grab the print job?? I guess it would have to listen on a certain port?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds