Printer Cannot Be Installed

Discussion in 'Software' started by danhereford, Aug 31, 2010.

1. danhereford

danhereford Private E-2

I have an HP1012 laserjet printer. It's worked without problem for many years. A few days ago, however, the printer suddenly disappeared. I couldn't reattach it because it didn't seem to exist. I uninstalled the printer and tried to reinstall. The system won't let me do this. I get a message right before the install is completed which indicates that the sytem encountered an error and the print spooler is being shut down. Turning it on doesn't prevent it from being turned off whenever whatever error rears its ugly head during installation.

A few times I got a message that there was a problem with the Windows Installer Package. Here are details from one of the printer error messages:

szAppName spoolsv.exe
    szAppVer 5.1.2600.5512
    szModname SDIMF32.DLL
    szModVer 5.60.2209
    offset 00004537

Any idea what might be happening here? I have been getting BSOD messages occassionally that I have not been able to resolve yet. Could this be related to these? Regardless, is there any way to get the printer installed until I get these other issues addressed?

Thanks!

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, danhereford...

Need to know your OS version and service pack #...

3. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Did you choose to remove the driver when uninstalling the printer? Have you made sure it's no longer showing in the device manager?

4. danhereford

danhereford Private E-2

I did ask to have the print drivers deleted when I did the uninstall ..... but how can I tell whether they were, in fact, deleted? I haven't looked specifically to make sure that they're no longer there.

The printer is no longer showing in the device manager.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds