Printer Driver Requires Reloading

Discussion in 'Software' started by CharlesE, Jan 2, 2013.

1. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    System Manufacturer DELL Inc.
    System Model Studio XPS 435T/9000
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 940 @ 2.93GHz, 2934 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 24.0 GB

Printer: HP PSC 2355

I don't leave my printer turned on since I don't use it much. Lately every time I turn it on and try to print, the system can't find the printer. When I turn it off and back on, the system searches for a driver on the web. It finds and loads the driver and I am OK to print. This started happening after I used DriverUpdate software. My question is once the drivers are installed why do they have to installed again every time I use the printer?

Thanks,

Charles

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MG's,
    Our advice here is to NEVER use driverfinding software!! I would advise that you uninstall this software and look for drivers direct from their original source.
    Ok... I need for you to uninstall the hp printer driver from add/remove programme, Start> Control panel >programme and features > locate and delete the printer driver.

Follow the rest of these instructions......

Step one: Install the in-OS driver
    Follow these steps to install the in-OS driver in Windows 7.
    NOTE:The computer must be connected to the Internet for Windows Update to detect and install your product.
    Turn the product on.
    Connect a USB cable to the printer, and then to the computer.

NOTE:When you connect the USB cable to the printer, and then to the computer, Windows 7 activates Windows Update. Windows Update searches online for the most recent product driver on the Windows Update site. If the online driver is more recent than the driver stored in Windows 7, the computer downloads and installs the updated driver.The Windows Update process takes place automatically. Therefore, you might not notice that the process is in progress.
    Windows 7 detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification displays on your computer to let you know when installation is complete.
    Your basic Windows 7 driver is now installed. Some functions might not be available, but you can use workaround procedures instead. See the How do I scan, fax, print, or use a memory card? section below.
    Step two: Print a document
    Print from any software program to make sure your printer is working correctly.
    Open a document in the software application in which it was created.
    Click File , and then click Print .

I hope that this helps resolve your issue.

3. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

1. I don't know about your control panel, but the one on my computer does not list drivers.
    2. The procedure you gave for installing a driver is exactly the one I followed. 3. My question is: Why must this process be repeated once the driver is installed.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If a driver repeats its install, if that is what you are experiencing then you have a faulty install and also could have other missing drivers, mainly chipset, so in Device Manager do you have any yellow ! marks and if so by what device?

Personally if you are using a driver updater app then don't, they really do in the main cause issues as they can never know all variations in drivers.

Windows 7 will have your driver, but if its faulting still, follow this HERE

5. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.

There is one problem USB port: Unknown Device (standard USB host controller) Port 0003 Hub 0008; "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

The printer uses USB port 0001 so I can't see how the Unknown Device is a problem. If I try to install a driver for the unknown device I am notified that the driver is already installed. The unknown device might be an external hard drive that I use only occasionally, but is still connected to USB.

You are correct, Windows 7 does have the driver. I have installed it several times, in fact, each time I turn on the printer.

6. DavidGP

Hi CharlesE

If the driver installs each time you switch on the printer try this, may help or not change a thing, but worth a go.

With printer off, open Device Manager and open the Universal Serial Bus branch then turn on the printer and a device should show, when it does right click and uninstall it, then unplug the USB cable from the printer, reboot then once rebooted re=plug in the printer and the USB driver will re-install, this "may" fix the issue.

7. CharlesE

CharlesE Private E-2

DavidGP,

Thanks for the help. I may give that a try the next time I use my printer.

Charles

8. DavidGP

Cheers Charles, do let me know if that helps or not, if not we would need to look at some other options to stop this from happening.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds