Printer PCI Slot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xscottx, Apr 29, 2007.

1. xscottx

xscottx Private E-2

I am looking to build a computer soon, first time. My question is how I would connect my printer? On my computer now there is a PCI slot with a card in it and the printer connects through that. Do I have to buy one for my new computer? Or is it possible to connect it straight to motherboard.

I am purchasing this motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...Force+650i+SLI+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+-+Retail

Cheers

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Does your computer connect through usb or the parallel printer port? If it's usb then that new motherboard is fine, if it's parallel then you'll need to get another pci card, or just take the one from the existing pc!

3. tmiller67

tmiller67 Private E-2

If the existing connection is through a PCI card then it is most likely a USB card added to an older system that did not have onboard USB. As stated above the new system should have what you need.

If it was a paralell port added to a newer system without one then I'd say it's time to upgrade the printer but I'm partial to the better speed and quality that a new printer would give you. Do you have any pics of the port your printer was connected to? If so then we could say for sure exactly what would be needed with the new comp.

4. sheesh721

sheesh721 Private First Class

If your printer wire looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    You will need to take that PCI card out of that computer.

If your printer wire looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    You'll be fine.

5. xscottx

xscottx Private E-2

Thanks everyone.

I have a oldschool printer, so I will have to buy myself a PCI card for it. Though I think I may just invest in a new-age printer.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

6. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

GET THIS MAN! it will blow you away :D They have created parallel ports to USB so Im sure if you have the old printer with the old Connector in the back wel then you can find like in Wal Mart I saw this its the old connector but instead of the serial cord on it it has a freaking USB attached to it :) Lemme see If I can find a Picture .. haha heres one check this out

http://www.artbv.nl/products/usb_products/index.htm

Hope it helps

7. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Are you already set on that motherboard? Because you could just buy a motherboard that has an LPT/Parallel port on it.

Something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130082

Beyond that, unless you have a real attachment to that printer, I would suggest getting a new one with USB. Printers are so cheap nowadays.

8. sheesh721

sheesh721 Private First Class

A new printer might save you costs in the long run on ink as well... if you buy a decent model.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds