Printer won't grab IP, but Laptop WILL on same ethernet wall jack port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by searcherrr, Feb 17, 2015.

1. searcherrr

searcherrr Private E-2

I have an HP LaserJet M401N, brand new out of the box.

Its set to DHCP. Refuses to grab IP on this 1 certain wall jack.

I plug a laptop into the same wall jack and immediately get IP and internet connection.

The M401N is at its latest firmware. Have done all the usual stuff: reboot printer several times, shutdown and pull power from printer, tried various ethernet cables at both ends of the LAN drop.... Laptop gets 1000mbps connection, but Printer doesn't get IP at all.

I have no idea what could be causing that. Any suggestions?

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you tried setting a static IP on the printer within the dhcp scope? What about outside the dhcp scope?

3. Sumer

Sumer Private E-2

I have never tried to do a replacement fan for a computer case. I think I may need to try to get a new one. The one I have on the side of the case has been shaking the case lately. I see nothing wrong with it. There are no indications that it is broken, I can't find anything in any programs that would point me to a trouble spot with the fan, but it has really not been working correctly. I have to stop it to get it to spin without shaking the case now. I have tried all the blowing it out with air compresser, all that stuff. I have tried suggestions given here in another thread. It is still doing it though, so that just makes me think I may need to try to get a new one and see if that fixes the problem.

4. searcherrr

searcherrr Private E-2

Unbelievably, the cable run was OPEN on 2 of its wires. Had the network boys come fix it and it worked instantly after that. Not sure how that happened, as no one usually is in the server room behind the patch panel... but someone had to have loosened it. Thanks to all that replied. Good guesses.:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds