Printing in a wireless network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ichase, May 30, 2010.

1. ichase

ichase Corporal

Had this in the Hardware section and after 50 views and no replies, I figured I had it in the wrong section. So with this being a Network issue and I decided to re-post it here. :) I am coming to you the experts to deal with a simple issue that I have done MANY times before.
    I have a wireless network. I have a HP Office Jet 7310 All in one Printer directly hooked up to the desk top which is directly hooked up to the Cable modem. I have a router. I am able to connect to the network on my laptop with no problem. I am even able to connect to the external hardrive (shared) on the desk top from the lap top. Now here is the issue that is messing with my mind. I have gone into the printer settings and have done the following:
    Click Start and then click Control Panel.

• Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

• In the Printers and Faxes folder, I clicked the printer's icon and, in the tasks pane, I clicked Share This Printer.

• I opened the printer's Properties dialog box, and clicked on the Sharing tab.

• I clicked Share Name, and then clicked OK.

After doing this and going to the printer options on my laptop (both systems by the way are running XP) I searched for the printer on the network and it is not showing up???

This is a simple process. I have done it before in the past. Can't for the life of me figure out what the snafu is. I'm fustrated that I can not figure this out on my own. So with that being said, I thank you all for your help in advance. :)

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Of all the functions of AIO only printing is really a shared network resource.

Some manufacturers provide special software that has to be installed on all the computers and it might provide an access to the printer.

In truth AIO should be stand alone Network Device in order to be effectively shared over Network.

http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html

:cool:

3. ichase

ichase Corporal

Cat5e,
    Thank you for the response. This HP printer is an AIO that is network ready but as I have furthered my reading, I am seeing that the only way to make it network available is to use the ethernet cable. Now with that being said, I obviously can not directly link the printer to the router with an ethernet cable. Printer servers are something I have no experience with, so more research is in my future.
    Thanks for your help and providing the link. :)

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, you want to make it wireless? Then perhaps buy a wireless print server.

5. ichase

ichase Corporal

Thanks theefool, that is kinda what I was implying on my last response. I need to research and learn more about wireless print servers. :)

6. ninja.skilz

ninja.skilz Private E-2

You have 4 options:

Wireless printer
    wireless print server
    wired print server connected to wireless printer
    wireless router with usb connectivity that supports printing functions

7. ichase

ichase Corporal

I know I am revisiting this problem which is REALLY an easy problem that is straight kicking my backside.
    The printer is connected to the desk top printer via USB. I went in and shared the printer on the desk top. I checked the Firewall and made sure that Printer Sharing was enabled. (even checked it on the laptop)
    Now, I know that a print server would be nice because I would not have to depend on the desk top PC to be on, only the printer.
    But as far as I know, there is no other reason why the printer will not show up on the network with all the above done.
    I am missing one key step that I am probably going to kick myself for not performing.
    Thanks again for your help. :)

8. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

This is your printer correct? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=391182&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Network set up guide - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00389680.pdf
    More connection info - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=391182

There is an optional blue tooth adapter (which I doubt you have) that would enable blue tooth devices to print wirelessly.

Connect the printer by ethernet cable to the router and assign a static IP address. The desktop would not need to be powered up in that case.
    You may/may not have to reinstall the printer on the comps and also get the printer back to default configuration before this takes.
    When doing the set up, use the network connection type and IP port option.

9. ninja.skilz

ninja.skilz Private E-2

Sounds like you should be good to go, but since you're still not seeing the printer, it is most likely the firewall you mentioned. What firewall software are you using? Also, please list any other security software you have running. Different software can have different requirements to make this work. It definitely sounds like something is blocking the printer.

10. ichase

ichase Corporal

ibmest, thank you for supplying the info. I was wondering if I would be able to use an Ethernet cable from the printer directly to the router and access that way and it appears I can. This would most definitely be the best option to go with considering the desk top computer is not always on.
    ninja, I enabled the Windows XP built-in firewall and currently using AVG 9.0 as my security software.

Thanks for the assistance with this issue. In the past with another printer, I did as I tried to do with this printer and was able to see it on the network. Kept thinking there was a simple step I was absent mindedly missing. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds