Probelm with Task Manager Process/Image Name : "system"

Discussion in 'Software' started by beyondrelief, May 30, 2004.

1. beyondrelief

beyondrelief Private E-2

I'm having a hard time understand why the Image name "system" under the user name "SYSTEM" is constantly has a CPU usage of about 50% or so when i have no programs open.

Sometimes when i restart my computer it goes away, but other times it always eats up 50% of my CPU. Does anyone know how to fix this, or stop this from happening?

My computer specs are right below in my signature. If i wasnt clear enough ask me to try and clarify, and i'll try my best.

Thanks in advance.

2. beyondrelief

beyondrelief Private E-2

Here is my computer specs:
    CPU: Intel P4 with hyper threading 2.6Ghz
    RAM: 1024MB DDR
    BOARD: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    VIDEO: Radeon 9600XT
    SOUND: Creative SB Audigy Gamer

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Could any a number of different things. Run an updated anti-virus scan, and run an online scanner like http://housecall.antivirus.com/. Run updated Ad Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy scans (make sure your browsers are closed when you run these). Make sure Windows XP is up-to-date. Update your video drivers, sound card drivers, and motherboard chipset drivers.

Next time it does it, see if any other process is using the CPU.

4. beyondrelief

beyondrelief Private E-2

everything you mentioned above has been tried.

i have McAfee firewall/anti-virus program, i ran ad-aware and spybot S&D, XP is up to date as are my video and sound card drivers.

Im not completely sure if my motherboard chipset is up to date, but im pretty sure it is.

also i never really paid much attention to other process that are using the CPU when the problem occurs, so i will check that out when i get the first chance.

:(

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Figured you'd probably tried those things, but you didn't say and that's the first step. :)

Here's a page with numerous links relating to resolving this kind of issue. Might be worthwhile to check them out:
    http://kadaitcha.cx/high_cpu.html

6. beyondrelief

beyondrelief Private E-2

thanks i will check this link out.

sigh, this is so frusterating. :(

7. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

8. beyondrelief

beyondrelief Private E-2

oh that program is really interesting, i cant wait to test it as soon as the problem occurs again. i'm too afraid to reboot my computer because right now its working fine.

thanks for the link

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds