problem´, probably gfx related or my amd processor

Discussion in 'Software' started by CoGS, May 11, 2008.

1. CoGS

CoGS Private E-2

i recently got a trojan vundo onto my computer but cleaned it with help from the forum. about 1 week after the cleaning of the computer i formated my computer, but to my supprise all games i tried to play i was having speedhack then a huge freeze inside the game but i can still move my cursor and aim in the air/ground when i freeze.. it´s really a bugger since i formated 3 times now to get rid of it but it wont work i even tried putting bios to default and critical fail safety. nothing has worked so far. is even inside windows i can see some things like my text bar in ie7 is faster. i don't know if this is the trojan or the fact that my computer accidently got some hardware damage (took coputer to lan and might have bumped in the car). is there anyway i can search for the problem or if you might now what hardware is damaged and then tell me what i need to buy and maybe even recommend some parts i can buy cheap
    my computer info is down below
    amd athlon x2 dualcore 3600+
    ati radeon x1650 pro 256 mb graphic card
    1gb ram
    250 gig hd
    mother board c51gm-m
    id really appreciate if u can help me out since im on the verge of buying a whole new computer since it will be to expensive to turn in computer at the local computer technician then i might aswell buy a new one or risk by buying a new motherboard and gfx card.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks. If you have formatted the hard drive several times there is no way the virus is still there, so that isn't the problem. Some games will exhibit the problems you're describing when run on dual core CPUs (Serious Sam 2 is one for example). Check with the game maker's web sites and see if any patches are available that address your particular issues. Try a different video driver. Gamers report that certain driver releases work better than others on certain video cards. Do some research in a gaming forum or look around at the ATI web site's forums or FAQ's. Or just try the newest ATI driver; it's available right here from Major Geeks:
    Windows XP http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATI_Catalyst_Drivers_for_Windows_XP_d4038.html
    Windows Vista http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATI_Catalyst_for_Vista_d5503.html
    Those are 32bit drivers. If you need 64bit drivers, go here:
    WinXP 64bit http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp64/radeonx-xp64
    Vista 64bit http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=vista64/common-vista64
    Check your motherboard maker's web site for a possible chipset software/driver update or maybe a BIOS update.

Good luck!

3. CoGS

CoGS Private E-2

first of thanks for the fast respond. well the thing is i tested omegadrivers.net and atis own drivers but the problem still remains, I have been playing counter-strike / wow for almost 1 year with this computer and never had any problems. but now it simply boosts itself for 3-4 seconds then freeze completly then same boost again. i will check for chipset updates but the bios updates i really don't know how to update maybe u could forward me to a guide or something to update it. i will search for a guide for bios and chipset updates. thing is though i bought the cheaper version of motherboards and the producer stopped making updates.. sadly i expected more from the makers

4. CoGS

CoGS Private E-2

ok now i updated to the latest chipset drivers and downloaded a chipset update for the bios i pressume but the thing is i dont have any old fashioned disk reader so i can´t upgrade it with a disc, any chance u can use a cd disc instead to update the bios system ?

5. CoGS

CoGS Private E-2

finally it seems the chipset got everything to work out. they´re different from when i bought the computer in gaming performance but they are much better then the last week ^^ thanks to your advice i managed to save near 100 dollars on repair bills and now able to enjoy my computer.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:D Glad to hear all is well. Sometimes just updating the chipset is all you need. When you're running newer video drivers, sometimes you need to update the chipset drivers too. If everything is OK now, don't worry about flashing the BIOS, just keep on gaming!!! Again, I'm glad I could help. :drink :highfive

[dlb]
    :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds