Problem: ADSL signal dropping frequently

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Psychokilla, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Psychokilla

Psychokilla Private E-2

Firstly i shall use the log from my router to show you the problem at hand:

4/15/2005 8:9:43> ATM Disconnected
    4/15/2005 8:9:43> ADSL disconnected
    4/15/2005 8:9:44> PPP1 Session is down.
    4/15/2005 8:9:44> NAT/NAPT Session Stop: interface ppp1
    4/15/2005 8:10:0> ADSL detected
    4/15/2005 8:10:7> ATM Connected
    4/15/2005 8:10:7> ATM layer is up, cell delineation achieved
    4/15/2005 8:10:7> ADSL connected
    4/15/2005 8:10:7> PPP1 PPPoA Connected
    4/15/2005 8:10:12> ATM Disconnected
    4/15/2005 8:10:12> ADSL disconnected
    4/15/2005 8:10:12> PPP1 Session is down.

Long strings of this. When it finally does connect it may stay connected for 5 days or 5 seconds, more often the latter.

My router is a Mercury, it doesnt give a model number or anything. The firmware is distributed by Conexant, but with no router model i can't do anything, they support dozens of router models. I'm effectively using it as a modem at the minute and distributing the connection wirelessly with my Edimax 802.11b/g compliant Wireless router, but that connection is fully stable. I can find NO tech help on the web for Mercury, so no firmware updates, as far as i know they don't even have a website.

Anyone ever hear of any problems similar to this? Or any suggestions on where to start looking? This is a problem that has been ongoing for a very long time.

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

I'd suggest talking to your ADSL provider. There is a good chance it's the ADSL modem or their service that is causing the problem. Sometimes it's something stupid like a faulty wire, or it's just because you're on the limits that the ADSL line can run.

3. KOB0724

KOB0724 Private First Class

Yea, its probably something with ur ISP (internet service provider.) I know I had problems with my ADSL before and its because I was just to far away from where the signal was originating. Ask them how far away you are from the DSLAM. The DSLAM is where your ADSL signal orignates. If its more than 20,000 feet from you, thats probably why your signal is dropping. Between all the interference the signal just can't stay up.

4. MG_Nut

MG_Nut Private E-2

Can you get a signal to noise ratio from your modem/router?
    Is there a "keep alive" setting in the modem/router?
    Do you have a friend with an ADSL router that you can use for testing?
    I recon it's a modem thing, personally. Otherwise:

Where on Earth are you? (Polite question!):)
    If you are in the UK, adslguide.org will be able to help. (to find out if it's an ISP issue)

Let us know please.

N.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

6. Psychokilla

Psychokilla Private E-2

Left is down, right is Up:

SNR Margin 10.1 25.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 47.6 31.5 dB
    Errored Seconds 247763 1081
    Loss of Signal 439 439
    Loss of Frame 0 0
    CRC Errors 275 1
    Data Rate 2272 288 kbps

^someone asked for the signal to noise ratio, but i posted it all instead. See the errored seconds?

Oh, and unless my ISP messed around a hell of a lot with my exchange, i don't think it will be that. I've been with them nearly three years now and it was fine at first, problems seemed to appear when i got the modem and router set up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds