Problem after machine rebuild with hard drive.

Discussion in 'Software' started by another village idiot, Feb 27, 2013.

1. another village idiot

another village idiot Private E-2

Sorry for the "long" story, but I think it is better I explain what happened before and where I am now.

My machine was working.

It is an old mother board (Gigabyte with IDE ports) 200 model. Alas I have since thrown the box away.

(Indulge me)

The boot disc died. Should have expected it. Even it was old. It was on an IDE port. Semi problem.

Bought an IDE - SATA convertor which makes a SATA drive look like an IDE to the machine. Basically it plugs onto the back of the SATA drive.

I also have a "mobile rack" on the other IDE Port for a "swapable" drive.
    That port has a DVD and the "mobile rack". The DVD is master. It works/ed.

After getting the new drive in, and going to rebuild the machine: To keep things simple - or so I thought - I unplugged the "mobile rack" hard drive.

Rebuilt the machine and plugged the drive in, powered up and.....

Nothing. :cry

Control panel/admin tools/computer management/storage/disk management
    Scrolled down and found the disc.
    "FOREIGN DISC".

RMB has a couple of options. Initialize is not going to be one I pick.

But "Import foreign disk" looks interesting.

Searching the web, it sort of explains it, but not in a way I really understand.

So, if I do this: Will the disc become usable or will it be "read only", or something else?

Obviously INITIALIZE is going to wipe the disc and data. Not good.

There is another little thing happening now as well, but it isn't too problematic and I won't confuse the issue with including it here.

I'll wait for answers and when this problem is worked out, I shall post about the other "problem".

Thanks in advance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds