Problem booting ASUS A8V

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mdowns, Apr 10, 2006.

1. mdowns

mdowns Private First Class

Hello geeks! :)

I just got an ASUS A8V motherboard and an AMD64 3700+ (San Diego) CPU. I removed my old mobo and chip, and replaced them with the new stuff. I disconnected all the drives (hard drives and DVD/CD drives), and only had the video card and memory running. I wanted to boot into the BIOS and check things out there.

However, upon turning on the power, I was faced with a blank screen. The CPU fan was running, but I got no initial boot screen telling me about my video card, no initial BIOS screen. Just a blank screen.

I tried reconnecting everything, but got the same result. I ended up removing the new mobo and chip, and replacing it with the old hardware. Everything worked fine.

Any ideas what might be the problem with the new stuff? Any ideas how I can troubleshoot to see what the specific problem might be?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Could be a faulty cpu. Make sure it is seated OK.

3. mdowns

Thanks for your reply.

I followed the directions for installing the CPU: dropped it into the square slot; Didn't push on it or anything; pulled the little lever next to the square slot down and locked it.

Also, I put the heatsink and fan on top of the CPU. Is it OK to take it off to check the CPU? Will that mess up the thermal-goop that was on the bottom of the heatsink?

4. mdowns

So, does anyone know if it is OK to remove the heat-sink to check the CPU? Will it mess up the thermal-pad thingy?

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Yes , probably is messed up.
    The thermal pad shouldnt be reused, if you reuse your chance of poor cooling is increased, the fix is to remove again and apply new Thermal pad or Thermal Paste, Take your pick!
    I wouldnt recommend the stock thermal pad or any pad either. ( Use the paste Man)

I would recommend Artic Silver Ceramique thermal paste:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm
    Lot's of peoples like Artic Silver 5
    I prefer the Artic Silver Ceramique, as it is none conductive, Last's longer, shorter burn in, cleans easy, Thermal Cooling within a couple degrees of the Artic Silver 5, In reality it's just safer than AS5.

6. mdowns

That's what I was affraid of. :( See, I'm nowhere near a computer shop. There are a couple electronics shops on my island, but I don't think they have any thermal paste (will check this afternoon, though).

I'm a little worried, though, about the possibility that this is a CPU problem. I just ordered that part from NewEgg. I haven't done anything strange with it (took it on a plane) or anything. I was pretty careful when I set it into the socket (it just droped right in without a hitch, really).

Do you have any other possible ideas as to what could be a problem other than the CPU?

Thanks again for your reply.

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

You also need to have a bios greater than 0218 for your motherboard to run that cpu,you will probably have to contact ASUS to find out what bios your motherboard was shipped with as you cant get video without a cpu"Unless anyone else knows how to check:confused:" ,I cant link directly to site page due to it being a java app:rolleyes: ,In search cpu select motherboard,socket 939,av8

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds