Problem booting laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by dingdong001, Jun 16, 2015.

1. dingdong001

dingdong001 Private E-2

My brother is having an issue with his laptop where it turns on, reaches the loading page with the Windows logo, but then just continues on to a black screen with only the cursor. On this screen, there is no toolbar etc, literally only the cursor. The laptop is running Windows 7 64bit.

Clicking does nothing, nor do any key combinations I have tried. The screen is backlit. Additionally, the HDD indicator light on the laptop is on.

I have run Windows Defender Offline from a bootable flash drive, both quick and full scans, and no threats were found.

Attempting to boot in safe mode, or safe mode with command prompt just result in the same issue.

I have now just run Fubar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and attach the read I got from that.

I have tried system recovery, system repair and anything else I can think of, but with no success.

Anyone got a fix for this?

Attached Files:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The Farbar scan is clean.

3. dingdong001

dingdong001 Private E-2

Thanks for checking.

Managed to get a complete system restore done, and laptop is now functioning fine.

Attempted this a number of times before, but after selecting "Complete Restore" I was faced with the black screen and no progress. Not sure why it worked this time, but it did.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Good to know. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds