Problem booting up 98SE

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kor, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Kor

Kor Private E-2

I installed a browser I found on Major Geeks a few weeks ago.
    I can't remember the name, it may have caused my problem.
    Things went crazy, part of the AVG antivirus went off.
    I rebooted but BEFORE Windows comes up the lines of code were gone and it would not complete boot up.
    I do not know what to type in, it asks for lines of code to boot up.
    I don't know if I am explaining myself well enough, but perhaps you can get the idea.
    I am not computer savey, I attempted safemode, to try to get to scan for virus. I did not understand what to do with safe mode and so I am not able to get my computer going.
    Any ideas or instructions would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Kor......

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

More specific information is needed before any help can be given! What lines of code are you referring to? What is the exact message(s) on your boot screen? Without knowing this, I would be shooting in the dark as for any advice that might be given!:)

3. Kor

Kor Private E-2

Thank you for your reply.

I will have to reconnect my computer before I can tell you the exact request.

I will get back as soon as possible.

Kor.........

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

So have you actually managed to boot into Safe Mode?

5. Kor

Kor Private E-2

Thank you for your help.

I did get into safe mode, but I am not computer savey about such matters and I did not know what to do once I got into safe mode.

I figure that if I can do a virus scan it may be helpful.

What seems to have happened is that any or some of the lines of code that normally happen when the computer boots up normally have been deleted as the boot does not go on beyond the first or second screen.

I know this does not give enough information.

As soon as I can get the energy to connect again with the computer I can get to the info that seems to want me to add to go on to the next screen.

I do know that a program IN my AVG antivirus went off and that is why I rebooted and found I could not get the computer beyond the first few bootup screens.

Kor......

6. Kor

Kor Private E-2

Here is the screen that shows last and causes the stop in the loading.
    I do not understand what it means or what to do.

Type the name of the command interpreter (e.g.,c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

This is the point I get lost as to what to do.

Thank you for your help.
    Kor

7. Kor

Kor Private E-2

Here is the exact message:

"Type the name of the command interpreter (e.g.,c:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)"

8. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Kor,

Do you have a Win98 boot floppy disk? If not go to www.bootdisk.com and download one. Once you have it, insert it in your computer and boot it, choose the option "Start without CDROM support". Once it has finished booting your computer and you are at the A:> prompt, type sys C:. This will transfer the system files to your computer, including command.com. You should see a message saying files transferred or something to that effect. Remove the floppy, and hit control, alt, delete to reboot your computer. Hopefully this will fix it, and if not, post back. Hope this helps!:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds