Problem booting WinX64 disc...

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Dec 28, 2005.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hey guys :)

I recently bought F.E.A.R. and it seems to be a pretty cool game. I noticed that it says it supports Windows X64, so I downloaded the demo and burned the ISO image to a CD... Obviously when you try to explore it from Windows, it says I have to put the disc in and reboot my computer. Well, it was just rebooting like normal, so I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to CD-ROM first (before HDD) and it still booted right on up in my regular XP Home. So then I went in and changed all three boot slots to CD-ROM. This time when I rebooted, I got "System disk failed; insert disk and press any key to continue."

AKA: It ain't readin' it.

When I explore the CD on XP Home, it appears to look like it has all the stuff... But I can't get my PC to boot from it. I built my PC...

MSI 939 motherboard, 3000 Venice, 1 GB RAM, X800XL

Can't get it to boot from the disc... tried both of my optical drives. My father has an HP (it is not 64-bit) but I tried and it wouldn't boot from the disc either. I put the disc in and it just reboots like normal.

Am I an idiot because I can't get it to boot from the disc? By the way, I even burned another ISO image to another CD with another burning program--- no luck :(

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help, I'm really curious to see if there is a performance increase on F.E.A.R. with 64bit... And supposedly HL2 supports 64-bit now, too...

2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

By the way, when I say "downloaded the demo," I mean the demo of Win X64 if you didn't catch that :)

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Er?

Its a game demo. Why in the world would you boot to it?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Scratch that. Where did you download the ISO at?

5. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Haha. Just in time for your post I edited my second one. I downloaded it from Microsoft. It doesn't appear to be corrupted (I can explore it).

I don't want to redownload it. :(

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Can you post the final size, in bytes?

I'm going to download it real quick and compare.

7. askantik

askantik Sergeant

569,483,264 bytes

How the hell are you gonna download that "real quick"? Haha.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

9Mbps connection.

:D

provided the server gives me the bandwidth.

9. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Nice. Let me know what you get :)

I'm really interested to see if F.E.A.R. runs differently in 64-bit. And I'm looking forward to some driver issues, too.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

35% done in three minutes. I'm having to use a download accelerator to make several connections to the server. It wasn't giving me squat for bandwidth. Averaging 1.2mb/s. :D

11. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Sweet.

Obviously if it's different I should re-download it (will suck for me... 150k/s most I got the whole time downloading it the first time)

Now... what do you suggest if yours is the same exact size?

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, here is what I got:

585,750,528 bytes. Now unless Apple has decided to read the file size differently than say, Microsoft, thats larger than your file. I'll copy it to a Windows machine and see though.

13. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Heh. That sucks some pretty big youknowwhat for me.

How does Microsoft know that I don't use a different PC and email address to keep getting new CD keys and re-installing the Win X64 demo when it runs out? Granted it's probably more trouble that it's worth, but that is the case with everything Microsoft makes, including Windows.

Oh, and by the way... just to be sure, what's the file name on yours? Mine is w2k3sp1_1289_usa_x64fre_pro.iso

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, I'm guessing they will stop the offer before too long. The OS itself has a timebomb, no matter what key you use. It will stop working 180 days after install.

Let me copy this file over to a Windows machine.

15. askantik

askantik Sergeant

They've been offering the trial since January of this year... That's when I downloaded mine. That may be why our file sizes are different.

I downloaded it and never got around to installing it (I'm lazy).

Now... When I go to the Microsoft site to red/l it, I select US, put in my information (email, address, name, etc...) And I don't remember if I did this or not the first time... Why the hell do they need my address? I notice some bold print right above the button that says "Order the download."

Note:
    If you choose to register to download the software, you will not receive the product CD.

When I fill out all that stuff and go to the checkout process, it gives me an error. Maybe I'm still sleepy.

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

17. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Hm, completely different filename from mine. Thanks. Hopefully this will work.

I have DSL and it pisses me off that the download starts out at 400k/s and then drops to 200 abruptly, then slowly tapers off at 140-150. It does that on just about every download I've ever done.. OCCASIONALLY it will stay above 200, but never at 250 or anywhere above, even when it starts at at sometimes even up to half a meg. Why's it do that?

Time remaining is 1:10:44 :(

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, this server sucks altogether.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Transferred to my Windows machine. Size is the same as I quoted before.

20. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Thanks for all your help. Guess I'll burn this to a disc and try it.

By the way, I originally used the "Write this file to CD" wizard in Windows to burn it to a disc... Then I used CDBurnerXP Pro and burned it to a disc and clicked a box that said "Make this disc bootable." Neither worked... Which program do you think I should use with the new ISO file?

21. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You need to burn it as a CD image.

The XP software won't do that.

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds