Problem configuring Motherboard Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MikeLyons, Apr 12, 2005.

1. MikeLyons

MikeLyons Private E-2

Hey guys. I've got a HP Pavilion 505n PC sitting on the floor next to my desk, which used to be my daughter's machine before I upgraded her recently. I plugged it into our router for easy network access and plan to throw a bigger hard disk in it and use if for a backup file server, print server and probably a sandbox to play with Linux distros and test new utilities and whatnot in XP Home before they get installed on my own PC. I have a KVM switch to it, which works nicely and have also been playing with free remote software - very cool but very slow. I might like using it to two box EverQuest but I haven't gotten around to playing with that yet. I think I'd have to throw a PCI Nvidia FX 5700 LE or something similar in there for that to work as this low end retail PC has no AGP slot, just Intel Extreme graphics with a whopping 64 MB "shared" video ram. LOL! It does have 512 MB RAM but I am likely to up it to a gig if I do play EQ on it. The processor is a mighty Intel Celeron 2.2 with an Intel 850G chipset on a Trigem (they spared no expense there...) motherboard.

So, with that little bit of history aside here was the fun I had today with the new toy.

I tried to get motherboard monitoring software from HP for this model PC/board, etc. Unfortunately, after having to explain to more than one "technical support professional" what this software is, does, etc. I realized there was no hope here.

So I thought to myself, go to the souce. So I did. I went to the Trigem Website and found no help whatsoever. It ranks right up there with the worst most useless vendor sites I have ever had the great displeasure of seeing. But it did have their phone number. So I called them.

I got an operator, who was obviously of Asian descent and for whom English seemed to be a second language. That's cool. I love everybody. But I especially love people who actually know thier jobs, products they sell/support, etc. I could not find such an individual at Trigem in California. They suggested I might try calling Korea. LOL!!! Next....

I did a little Google for the needed software and discovered MBM 5. So I installed it. While they do support exactly one Trigem board, it ain't the one I have. No problem. I run it and play with it and figure out what sensor is the CPU temp and what sensor is the Case temp, not that that was very hard.

But now I am stuck and so where else would I turn for folks who actually know more than I do? That's right. Major Geeks. :)

So, I am at the part of configuration where i am attempting to setup monitoring of Core Voltage, etc. I only have a vague understanding of this and I am a little lost here. I enabled all 16 monitors MBM supports and displayed them and every one of them is zero, except for the 3 and 12 volt ones if I recall correctly. I went to the Intel site and found that the core voltage for my Celeron 2.2 processor should be 1.525 and running Sandra 2005 confirms this as well.

MBM is able to at least see some sensors on this motherboard, although working down the dialog for configuration in order, I don't know what kind of luck I am going to have sensing fan speeds, etc.

Anyone have any ideas for me on how to properly manually configure the voltage sensors in this situation? I'm happy to do my own homework if you can point me to where I can learn more.

This is my first post here but having visited a few times, I have to say what a great place. Excellent.

2. MikeLyons

MikeLyons Private E-2

Hmmm, apparently my Avatar icon was a good choice. I don't seem to be able to figure out how to do my sig here without the codes appearing instead of just the intended text. This is funny because I am using the "deluxe" editing option and I think it is supposed to do this stuff for me as I am HTML, etc. challenged.

While I am asking for pointers here, could someone tell me where I might be going wrong there or if there is help on the site someplace for using the appropriate codes manually? I just want to include my email and have it be clickable for your convenience.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds