Problem connecting to FTP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JClough, May 19, 2007.

1. JClough

JClough Private E-2

I have a large number of files that I need to transfer to a friend.

Thinking it would be easy I set up an FTP server using WinXP pro.

Everything appears to be set up properly but I cannot connect from the local machine, another computer on my network, or his computer.

If I remove my router from the mix everything works fine.

The guide that I read told me to set up a virtual server on my D-Link DGL-4300 for FTP over port 21.

During my search I have come across a number of people who say to also forward port 20. On this particular router Port Forwarding is referred to as Gaming. I have added the port entries and it hasnt change anything. I still get the same error when attempting to connect. (connection was reset)

I have used shields up to do a port scan and it shows the first 1056 ports all Stealthed...I dont know if this is relevant but i figured i would mention it in case.

This is likely some simple thing. I am just overlooking it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, I forgot to add.. The server is running and the port in the ISS is set to 21.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I don't know why you would need to setup a virtual server in your router. You should only need to forward the 2 ports and leave the rest of the router as it was. By having that virtual server on in the router you may be causing a conflict where the router doesn't know what to do with the request because it's assigned to two places at the same time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds