Problem detecting my router.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fragzinc10, Mar 21, 2005.

1. fragzinc10

fragzinc10 Private E-2

I'm currently re-configuring my home network following problems last week that have caused me to start over with it.

I'm using a westell 2100 DSL modem and a MN-500 wireless base station router by microsoft, but the problem is, I can't get my PC to detect the base station for anything. I've tried setting my DSL modem up as a bridged connection (it also works as a router, but has no ethernet ports or a wireless access point), and it still doesn't work.

I know that the router SHOULD work because prior to this week, I've had it working fine for about 5-6 months.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Sorry if more information is needed, I'll happily post any needed info.

2. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

Your DSL modem has no ethernet ports? Maybe I mis-read that one.

Using wireless, are you using the software that came with the wireless card or Windows wireless zeroconfig to find the access point?

Is the router set to broadcast the SSID? If not neither of the above will know it is there so you will have to manually setup the wireless connection in your wireless management software to gain access to the wireless router.

Did you make any changes to the default settings in the wireless router and how does the router hook up to your DSL modem?

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

You might have two unrelated issues.

1. Making a connection between your Wireless Clients and the Base station has nothing to do with DSL or Internet connection.

The Wireless connection does not needs any Internet connection in order to work.

Link to: Wireless - Basic Configuration.

Link to: Wireless Security.

2. As far as the Internet connection you might have authentication (ID and Password) problem. I do not know how you authenticate now but could be that by altering the way you are connected you need to authenticate via the base station.
    May be this can help: DSL Routers and PPPOE.

:cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds