Problem: Disk Space, Computer is slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bigz, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

Hello, I have a Acer Extensa 5235 Laptop with Windows 7 already installed, My disk space keeps disapearing even when I delete unnessesary item, the space that was freed from the deletetion is almost instantly disapears.

This is becoming an Issue as my Laptop is becoming slow in everything I do, especially for the interent.

I recently deleted backup files which took up about 50gb however the space was once again disapeared.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Bigz...

You might try looking at your System Restore parameters, see if you can tone them down some: Control Panel, System, System Protection, Configure...make sure that slider isn't set too far up...

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Bigz,

Can you tell us your drive size and amount of free space currently please?

Do you make regular use of Windows Disk Cleanup or software like CCleaner?

4. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

Hi the drive size is meant to be 136 GB i currently have 503 MB of 136 GB of free space and yes i have used the disk cleaners when they are prompted to me and the most i think one of the cleans freed was around 60 MB.

5. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

to caliban thank you i tried what you said the slider is set to just 4 percent and is currently using around 4.68 GB.

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Can't help but think something might be eating your free space - try this: download and install CCleaner, run it, click Tools, Startup, and save that list as a text file...now attach that file - here's how...

You might also consider going through the steps listed in the Malware Forum's Read and Run Me First thread...

7. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

ok thanks caliban will give it a try and will reply to you soon

8. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

done it, heres the attachment

Attached Files:

9. satrow

This reads like a case of Search Indexing or logging of some kind gone mad, try windirstat, install it and use it to find any large files.

10. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

Hey satrow thank you for the advice aswell now i used this and found that there are to files bothbackup files one containing around 65 GB and another around 42 GB now im terrible with computers but surely thats to much just for backup?? what do you think would be the best thing to do as i deleted a backup file before but the computer automatically must have created those to backup files once again taking all my free memory :/?

11. satrow

Well, a backup saved on your only hard drive is almost useless.

A backup should be saved to a separate drive and stored away from the PC it belongs to.

I think you need to have a look through the forums to checkout what methods of backup/restore and relevant software the other users recommend. I think Acronis is one piece of software currently in vogue.

You need to dig around (task Scheduler in Control Panel?) to find that backup job and stop it. 1 complete backup plus daily incrementals (only changed/added files) is normally enough for non-commercial/low-value data and system restore needs.

12. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

sorry to be an absoloute pain but is it possible if i take a little more of your time could you use team viewer with me and help because i really am useless on computers i had help to do everything else also.

13. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

if its possible we could do a teamviewer thingy and then communicate threw the notepad i gues?

14. satrow

Hmm, not the sort of thing that would normally be done ...

I'll make some coffee, PM me your details and hope my netbook is up to it - this PC is running flat out :)

Attached Files:

15. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

hey satrow sorry to be a pain but the forum will not let me PM you beacuse i have to of posted at least 50 times the only other way of me PM you is threw either xbox 360 live or facebook or myspace?

16. satrow

PM sent.

17. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

I Sent you a PM back im pretty sure :)

18. satrow

Nothing came through this end, try email.

19. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

im just doing it now just to confirm is it satrow then either one of the email things ?

20. satrow

Yes, hang a bell on it in case I fall asleep ^^

21. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

lol i dont know how to do that but i just sent one to your email check and see if you got it?

22. Bigz

Bigz Private E-2

Hey satrow im geting a disc tommorow so i will email you or right on here to you when i have it then we could finish this thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds