Problem establishing network identity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PC-XT, Mar 11, 2008.

1. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

Programs work over the network, except for one, which says Establishing network identity, and never connects. Does this require a special server resource or something? I just have a minimal configuration. Programs I tested which work fine include winpopup, netmeeting, hearts, Internet browsing and IMing, and a couple games. This is mostly a win98 LAN, although the program in question runs in win95 and up. I was thinking of possibly getting a Linux server, and maybe connecting some Macs, but it's just Windows for now, with one acting as a sort of server, controlling all shared resources. This is only the second network I made. The first was handmade with spare insulated wire between various ports for fun. I made BASIC programs to use it, and most Windows programs worked with Direct Cable Connections. Ethernet is new to me. Any pointers?

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

To have a Server that actually controls other computers you need a Network that is based on Real server Toplogy and is build around a real Server OS, like Windows Server 2003.

If you can afford to $5 for shipping, you can get a 190days Trial version of Windows 2003 SBS and feel what it means to have a real server Topology.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738394.aspx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds