Problem I can't resolve

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bjgarrick, Jun 5, 2005.

1. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

I have a Linksys Wireless router with 2 computers on the network. There names are Computer 1 and Computer 2. I have a shared directory on Computer 1 and can map the drive and access it. Both computers are on workgroup HOME. Computer 2 has a shared directory and can be accessed and mapped.

However, Computer 1 will see Computer 2 but cant browse on it, Computer 2 doesnt see Computer 1 at all. I cant get this to work for any reason. Both are connected to the internet via 3mb Cable w/ Linksys Wireless Router.

Both machines have WinXP SP2 with AVG, ZA and SpySweeper. Have tried disabling firewall & AV but still nothing.

Is there any suggestions for this so I can get these drives mapped and accessible?

2. Tater

Tater Tot

Basic, but is file and printer sharing enabled?

3. bjgarrick

Yes, I am able to print from computer to computer just cant access files. Im stumped, I do this at my office and never had a problem.

4. bjgarrick

This has me stumped, I have my printer shared along with one folder on Computer 1. I can see and access this on Computer 2. However for no reason can I see the shared folder. My permissions are set correctly, I'm on the same workgroup, I can share printers and access them but cannot access the folders.

I'm sure its something simple but any suggestions?

5. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Give us your firewall settings - Folder permissions - router settings - anything :confused:

6. bjgarrick

Permissions for the shared directories are set to Full Control for Everyone. Ive had this problem before I installed the firewall. As far as the router, I havnt changed anything in there, everything is default.

7. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Have you tried connecting the pc's directly? I still think this is a permission problem ... SP2 installed?

8. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Because the router directly connects to the internet - it maybe (due to noi changes made to the default config) assigns the settings fpr ppp connection to the internal conenctions to - give it a ruleset for connections in lan ...

9. bjgarrick

No I havnt, they are too far apart. Yes, SP2 is on both machines, personally I think the same thing.

I just cant seem to figure out where to set it at.

10. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

sorry for typing mistakes - had a really really long night today ;) .. pu

11. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

1. open a browser window and interface the router via http ->
    http://routerip

maybe(hopefully) it will prompt you for a login - if you made no changes the login should be admin, and the password that was delivered with the router

Now tello me what shows up .. unfortunately I don't know the linksys UI quite well

12. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

13. bjgarrick

Yes, ZA automatically shuts it off.

14. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

so far so good

15. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

the rules should be somewhere under advanced tab ..

16. rainmak3r

rainmak3r Private E-2

Before you change the router settings you should try to connect to the $ permissions eg.: \\Computer1\c$ - if this works, there's no need to edit router settings

17. bjgarrick

It only works for computer 1, for example. I can type \\Computer1\Music and it open its up and will map it. But when I try this on Computer 2 it says "Network path not found".

I can map the shared drive on the individual computer, but they cant map each other.

18. bjgarrick

This issue is resolved, Im not sure what did it. The same settings have been the same for weeks, nothing has changed. Booted up today and there was my network locations. Very weird!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds