"Problem installation" yellow question marks

Discussion in 'Software' started by Howmanator, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Gave my sister my old Gateway and swapped her emachine hard drive into the Gateway. Powered up fine, but then new hardware found messages popped up. I looked into the device manager, and under other devices it listed:

Audio Device On High Definition Audio Bus

Other PCI Bridge Device

PCI Simple Communications Controller

SM Bus Controller

Video Controller(VGA Compatible)

all with yellow question marks beside them. I don't have a disc for any of the items listed so could I ask you guys how to remedy these issues? I did google before coming to the forum, but the information was not specific to my problems, at least one warned against installing the drivers that were listed without the exact problem specified in the directions. Now I'm unable to connect to the internet from that PC. The motherboard is KTBC51G in a Gateway GT 4022.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm assuming you're running Windows XP since you didn't mention it. All the drivers can be found at this link at the Gateway site. Be sure to install the "Motherboard Driver Package" first, it's called D00447-001-001.exe. Restart the PC when it finishes. Then install the UAA HD Audio driver from Microsoft (also called KB888111). Then install the remaining drivers. If you have problems, or more questions, feel free to post!

[dlb]

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

4. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Thank-you guys:wave

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

thank dlb.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I forgot to mention, the only driver not listed at the Gateway site I linked you to above is the modem driver, the 'PCI Simple Communications Controller'. If you don't use dial-up then you can probably just leave it uninstalled, it won't hurt anything. But if you need to be complete, you'll have to run Unknown Devices or Everest to get the tech specs of the modem so we can track down the correct driver for you.

7. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Wanted to update you guys on the missing drivers. All that you shared with me worked great but the PC went back to Best Buy under the service plan I have (for the fourth time) to replace the Mobo again. Which by the way is why I needed to re-install those drivers, because it seems their service department lacks the dedication (even though they're paid) that I have seen time and again on this forum. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds