Problem installing cdr-burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nootjes, Mar 30, 2008.

1. nootjes

nootjes Private E-2

Hi,

My mother has bought a new computer but because it doesnt have a burner, I tried to install one myself from an older computer of mine.
    So I installed the burner and booted up the computer. Now, windows detects the burner, automaticly installs drivers for it and asks to reboot the computer. But everytime I reboot, windows does this proces all over again. (Detecting and installing the needed software). If i dont reboot after the driver is installed, it just doesnt show up on anywhere, just like I never installed a drive in the first place.
    I have downloaded the correct drivers from the manufacturer's website and tried to manually install the drivers but when attempting to install it, I get an error message saying no drive detected....
    Could it be wrong jumper settings? I havent checked it, cause I was kind of in a hurry but I'm going back this weekend to try fixing it. Any suggestions???

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Hi there - First of all - check that the IDE lead is inserted fully (ease it out and press it back in again) - same with power to the burner. Then its best to set a burner as master (look at the back and you will ee a small jumper , and ther is usually a diagram above this to show master or slave position. If you had a cd/dvd drive in already it may be set to master, and confusing the operating system - set it as slave.
    When doing this check the system by clicking start, then right click my computer, left click manage, click devices, and look at cd/dvd rom to see if it shows an exclamation mark - if it does , double click to bring up its propertyies, and click uninstall driver, then shut down and reboot - come back and let us know.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What version of Windows are you running? I have installed many CD drives in many computers over the years, and have NEVER had Windows require a reboot after installing a new CD drive. Even Windows98 generally doesn't require a reboot. And in Windows XP, new CD/DVD drives are usually installed fast enough to where the user isn't even aware of it. You might see the "new device" balloon appear down by the clock, but only for a moment, and it shouldn't require a reboot.

4. nootjes

nootjes Private E-2

Thanks for the replies. I'll set the jumpers like suggested and I'll let you know what happened next. I'll only be able to do so this weekend though, cause of work and such...
    Btw, I use WindowsXP

5. nootjes

nootjes Private E-2

I was able to go and take a look at it earlier today.
    Problem solved!!!! It was the jumper settings, just like you said. They were both set as master.
    Thx alot!!

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Glad to hear it,nootjes.
    I have often seen an ill fitted IDE lead cause similar problems, in my day.
    Seemed too easy, didnt it.. must be lots of us who fell over this little jumper problem, while we were learning, too.

My favourite quote...........

Sometimes the obvious eludes us.

7. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Just a little note for your next adventure in PC rom drive tom foolery. The IDE ribbon connects to the motherboard at one end and the two remaining connectors are as follows, the terminating end is for master jumpered drives and the middle connector for slaves. Your jumper choices are slave, master and CS or Cable Select (some drives will have master alone or master with slave separated). Cable Select automatically assigns the device hooked to the terminating end as master and the device in the middle as slave. CS can cause problems so I seldom use it. the only time I do is when its the only way two drives will work with one another (sometimes both drives insist on being the master).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds