Problem installing Windows XP Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'Software' started by kitagal55, Apr 26, 2008.

1. kitagal55

kitagal55 Private E-2

I tried installing the new sp3 but it stopped at "running processes after install". I have tried a couple of times with the same problem. I did a defrag and even exited all running programs including Avast & Comodo Firewall and the real time spyware. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen???rolleyes

2. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3

Where did you download from? I just downloaded it from MG's site and had no problem. http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_XP_Service_Pack_3_d4323.html

3. kitagal55

kitagal55 Private E-2

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3

I downloaded from MG site. that is where I get all my downloads.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Moved your post to its own thread to get more directed help for your issue as its likely it would get lost in the chatter over SP3 in the other.

Regards

5. kitagal55

kitagal55 Private E-2

Great thank muchly. I think maybe I will wait until the sp3 comes out with the Auto Updates and try it that way.I mean I waited 3 hours for it to install and it just didn't move. Anyway again thanks for your help. I will keep an eye on the forum though in case someone has a way or knows what is going on.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

7. nevilleo

nevilleo Private E-2

"Clean boot" per Halo advice did solve my XPSP3 install problems on both machines - disabling Startup items was not enough

8. kitagal55

kitagal55 Private E-2

Is it best to do clean boot in safe mode ????

9. kitagal55

kitagal55 Private E-2

I have sone the clean boot and still trying to install SP3 but it seems to stall. Please any other suggestions would be of help..;)

10. kitagal55

kitagal55 Private E-2

WOW!!! Finally at last got it thanks to Halo's clean boot. The only glitch I had was the Avast real-time protection did not want to work but I just uninstalled it and reinstalled and everything seems to be working great!!! Again thanks to all that tried to help..

11. nevilleo

nevilleo Private E-2

No - don;t use safe mode. Log on as member of administrator group.
    Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility

Start - Run - msconfig-ok

Step 2: Configure Selective Startup Options:
    General Tab: Clear "Process System INI file", clear Process WIN INI file, clear Load Startup Items but do NOT clear Load System Services
    Services Tab: Select "Hide All Microsoft Services", then select "Disable All" then OK.

Restart when prompted.

Install XP SP3 on the reboot (click to select "Dont Show this message...etc)

after install completes, run msconfig again and select Normal Startup

12. Chimpalimp1001

Chimpalimp1001 Private E-2

I am also having a problem with Windows XP Service Pack 3, and have also tried some of the Microsoft suggestions but with no success. My problem is that when I try to install the Service pack I will get to a point after the registry keys in the installation process then suddenly it tells me that I have a setup failure. It states "Service Pack 3 Error" "An error in updating ur system has occured" "Select 'OK' to undo changes that have been made." Can someone help me please? By the way, I am not that techno savy, so if someone gives me advice please put it in laymen's terms. Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds