Problem intalling Corsair GS600 power supply...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjollnir, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mjollnir

mjollnir Private E-2

I recently upgraded my video card to one that needs a 450w powersupply, which I then had to upgrade. I purchased the Corsair gs600. The problem I am having is that when I hit cpu power button, the power supply, fans and the peripherals run, but the tower blue light never comes on, nor does it boot up. When I threw back in my 300w supply, everything works fine, so, I am obviously misconnecting something.

I have the 24-pin on the motherboard, the thin SATA, the 6-pin to the vid card, and the 4-pin going to the DVD. The only issue I have is that there is another 4-pin (auxiliary?) on the other end of the motherboard. This was connected with the 300w (called p2 i think), but I was told not to connect it with the 600w. The 600w doesn't have a designated 4-pin but it does have a 6-pin that I guess is also used for a 4-pin.

I am running a AMD phemon 8450 tri-core. I am trying to upgrade from a ati radeon hd 3200 chipset to a Asus GTS450 GeForce.

2. mjollnir

mjollnir Private E-2

Added DXdaig.

Attached Files:

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Is this a 4-pin in a square near your CPU? You need that connected as that's the extra power the motherboard needs to supply 75W of power thru the motherboard. Just to make sure, what's your motherboard's model #? Who told you that you needn't connect that 4-pin has a screw loose IMHO.

1 x Main connector (24Pin)
    1 x 8 Pin EPS/ATX12V CPU(You should be able to split this in into 2x4-pin even though newegg doesn't state it)
    8 x Peripheral
    6 x SATA
    2 x Floppy
    2 x PCI-E

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. mjollnir

mjollnir Private E-2

Thnx Augiedoggie.

According to CPU-Z, my motherboard is a Gateway RS780.

It was actually one of the Geek squad members who had said this. I originally installed the corsair with the 8-pin in that slot. I wasn't getting any power so I took it into Best Buy and he looked at it. He saw that I put that connection in an said that "that wasn't a good thing at all." He disconnected it and left the 24-pin in and the power it still wouldn't turn on. He tested the power supply with a volt meter and got nothing..it was dead. He then told me that I probably killed the power supply because I hooked up that 4-pin slot. I returned that power supply to get a new one. Thats when I hooked up the new one minus that slot and now have the partial system power up.

As for that 4-pin slot...
    I didnt actually split anything because I didn't know any better (this is my 1st power supply). The actual connector has 6-pins that are together, then there is another two that are attached to that line but they are separate from the 6-pin...kinda floating. I was also afraid to hook it up the 2nd time because he said I was lucky I didn't fry my motherboard hooking that 4-pin up.

So I actually physically split 2 of the pins off of the 6-pin end? Before I just offset the connector so the 4 were in and 2 pins were just on the side of the connector.

5. augiedoggie

You have to power that 4-pin connector, this is your board. Maybe that GS600 for some reason doesn't have a split-able 8-pin connector and so therefore is the wrong choice for you. Do not use the PCI-E 6x2 connectors in there, at least until you know the pin out and don't ever force anything in! It's absolutely mandatory/imperative to provide that power!!!!!

Damn it, you shouldn't have a connector like that! See if it fits, never seen that before. BTW, your 'Geeksquad' jerk is just that. Lived up to my lack of expectations. Just because you're getting volts under no load does not mean that the PSU 'works' to supply the power needed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  6. augiedoggie

One other thought, try to install your 'unbreakable' 8-pin connector on 4-pins only. DO check the pin orientation first, like I said before. No forcing needed. Oh, the 8-pin is basically 2x a 4pin, if you can find the proper keying then just let it overhang, I'm not sure that you have the space on your microATX. There might be add-on cables to do exactly that, take your 8-pin down to four.

7. mjollnir

mjollnir Private E-2

You're screen shot is exactly what I am dealing with...thnx. And I realize I do have a eps/atx12v 4-pin & 8-pin. So I split this into 2 4-pins and use one of these for that connector? Does it matter which side? I know to make sure the pins slide in easily. Like a dummy, I was using a pci-e 6 and 8 pin....oops.

8. augiedoggie

Exactly!:)

9. mjollnir

mjollnir Private E-2

Installed it and it works perfectly!!! Thanks augiedoggie! Majorgeeks 1 - geek squad 0.

10. augiedoggie

Woohoo!:major Enjoy.:cool Geeksquad sucks as all they're after is money and by hiring barely qualified people at just over minimum wage. The pox on them!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds