Problem Pasting in MS Word

Discussion in 'Software' started by RGW, Feb 1, 2007.

1. RGW

RGW Private E-2

For the past few weeks, I've been unable to do a simple ctrl+c, ctrl+v paste into Word. The only way I can post something is to go to the edit menu and chose paste special -> Formatted Text. If I just press ctrl+v, Word freezes and then shuts down.
    Does anyone know what causes this and how it could be fixed?

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

In Word, go to Tools/Options/Edit...close to the bottom is smart cut & paste make sure the box is checked. Did you change anything lately?

3. RGW

RGW Private E-2

I checked and that box is checked. I haven't changed any settings, so I don't know what's causing this. It's very strange.
    Another thing -- sometimes, when I try to paste something into word, the most recent thing I copied doesn't paste...it's whatever I had previously copied. I don't know what's happening.

4. Cat_w_9_lives

5. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Okay, I'm using Word 2003. This is my work computer and I don't have permission to access Add/Remove programs.

6. dromano

dromano Staff Sergeant

Have you tried the repair function?
    help--detect and repair

7. Cat_w_9_lives

Try detect n repair (thanks dromano), if that does not help, only other thing I can find is a clipboard error/lock up.

If Clipboard is not displayed in the task pane, on Edit Menu click Office Clipboard. On the Clipboard task pane, click Clear All

Please let us know what works or not, i'm curious now ;)

8. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Okay, I tried those things. I copied some text on Yahoo's main page and pasted it with ctrl+v into Word, and it DID work. I copied text from this thread with ctrl+v and it also worked.
    However, when I try to copy text from emails in my Yahoo account, Word freezes and I have the same problem. This really confuses me. What's different about the text in my emails?

9. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

My $.02 ... this doesn't really address the issue, however but may help ... Find and Rename/delete Normal.dot. Some things clear up when this action is taken.

Real wild guess here ...Check with Yahoo, it may have do with spam/phishing prevention techniques.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds