Problem playing videos at Putfile.com

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cleanwilly, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Cleanwilly

Cleanwilly Private E-2

Since installing a new graphics card (ATI X1300 Pro) I get psychedelic colors when trying to view videos at Putfile.com. The videos seem to run ok, just with messed up colors. All other games and graphics seem OK. I didn't have this problem with my old GeForce card. I don't have this problem with Video.Google.com videos. I've installed the latest drivers for the card. OS is XP Home. I've searched here and elsewhere for an answer with no luck. Help!?

2. Cleanwilly

Cleanwilly Private E-2

So, is it that this is my first post here? Too trivial a problem? So simple that the answer is obvious? Maybe someone could direct me to another forum where I could get the help I need?

3. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Welcome to MG's!:)

First question, no. Second question, no. Third question, no. Fourth question, don't see why we can't help you here:)..so first things first..I'll move your thread to the hardware forum where you are likely to get your issue resolved as the problem began with the installation of a new video card, it seems it is hardware related. That in part likely explains the reason for lack of responses in the software forum. Added to that, many of our regulars are primarily here during the week so it tends to be a little slower on the weekends.

Hang in there...someone will get to you ASAP!:)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

First thing that springs to mind is that you are missing codecs for playing certain video formats or the ones you have are corrupted since installing the new card.

Did you uninstall the nVidia drivers before installing the card and Ati drivers?

as I said earlier it maybe worth installing a codec pack to cover most of the common video formats in use at sites like Putfile, this one is not bad http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4844

5. Cleanwilly

Cleanwilly Private E-2

I did uninstall the drivers and card software before installing the new one. Installed your suggested codec pack, and still have the same problem.

6. AbbySue

I was going to suggest you try re-seating the card but after reading your post again I see you indicate you only have this problem at the one website. I checked their help file section and it wasn't very helpful...is it a certain file type from there or all file types on the site?

7. Cleanwilly

Cleanwilly Private E-2

I've been unable to determine which file types they use at that website. When I try and right click on the video, it says right clicking is not allowed. Is there another way to determine file type?

8. AbbySue

I watched a bunch of random ones at the site just now and according to my temp internet files they were all in WMP format. Do you have problems with any other files in WMP format?

9. DavidGP

For video they accept these

[SIZE="1"]http://www.putfile.com/faq[/SIZE]

Which was why I suggested the Codec pack as that should have covered all of those file types. Is it all the videos at that site or just a few that you are viewing.

Have you cleared out your Cookies and Temp Internet folder, weirdly it could be a corrupt cookie or old temp file?

Do you have latest WMP?

10. AbbySue

@ Halo..I had noted the different file types they accept for upload..we have linked to that site before via the home page & IWL but I wonder if they convert everything to WMP format once it's uploaded? I can't recall ever going there and viewing a file in any format but WMP.

11. DavidGP

Yeah looks like I was typing as you posted...

just checked the formats of some that were recorded in DivX originally and you are most correct Abby they are converted to WMV 8/9 format, so all I can imagine now is that these codecs from MS are needed

Codec Installation Package for Windows Media Player 7.1 and later which incudes WMP 9 and 10.

12. Cleanwilly

Cleanwilly Private E-2

That did it! Thank you soooo much!

13. DavidGP

Its our pleasure Cleanwilly, glad that fixed you up :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds